Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
usernkLuG10iZF
Astronaut

Re: NOTE 9 EDGE LIGHTING DOES NOT WORK WHEN SCREEN IS OFF

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just go to your messanger apps specifically. (Like whats app or telegram or Gmail or ...) . Go to "setting" on each app. Then go to notification. After that turn on "pop up notification"... now it's gonna work whether ur screen is on or off . 

@Purple Peanut wrote:

I have been playing around with my note 9 settings for a couple of days now, and I still can't seem to get the edge lighting to work properly when the screen is off (locked), even though the "Always On Display" is on.

At first it worked, then for some reason it just stopped. And no matter how many different settings I tried, it couldn't get it to work again.

So far, the only workaround that could help it work is if I set the pop-up notification to on. If the pop-up notif is on, the edge lighting work. But it is REALLY ANNOYING that every time I pressed the home button, instead of the home screen / lock screen, I am greeted by the pop-up, and I have to close it first to get to the lock screen.

I read that this has been a common problem for S8 and S9 users, but I haven't found any thread for Note 9, although I'm fairly certain mine can't be the only one.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET IT TO WORK WITHOUT HAVING TO TURN ON POP-UP NOTIFICATION???

This has been a common problem for quite a while now, I don't understand why Samsung doesn't even try to fix the problem?

userbBfn4YfdNg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SOLVED

found the solution for the Edge lighting not working and it works 100%. And the best part is you dont need to have the annoying popups (for example on Whatsapp) activated. Tested on S8 and S9. First thing you have to do is install the Light Flow app (by the way, pretty useful for modifying your LED light). After you install and activate it go to "notification settings" and there you can find a list of apps you want to modify your LED light for. Add the app you want your Edge lighting to work (Whatsapp in my case), then press those 3 dots on the right of the listed app and press "settings" Now click on the "notifications" tab next to the "trigger" tab on top. Here you have to click the fields "exclude from sleep mode" and "switch screen on". Your work with Light Flow app ends here. Now go to your phone settings to display-edge screen-edge lighting. Go to "manage notifications" on the bottom and add the Light Flow app. Once it is done go to edge lighting style-color-custom color. Edit the light color you want for the Light Flow app and you are done! Basically what happens is when you receive an Whatsapp message (or any app you choose) Light Flow app will initiate a virtual popup (nothing visible on the screen) and that will trigger the Edge lighting to work on the screen that is off. Hope it helps and if you need any questions let me know Smiley Happy

maverick899
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It does help to trigger the edge light however there's no text notification seen for whatsapp when that happens like it does for the messaging app. All I get to see are the edge lights with the Light Flow app logo. Anything im missing in the setting maybe or is this how it's supposed to work.

userD0BttTFRC0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yiu can download the Samsung Galaxy app Edge Lighting + to customize your edge lighting on the note 9

Jwikoff
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I tried the Lighting+ app and it did not help. Installing Light Flow did the trick.