cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pierhh
Halo

Not receiving gmail notification if data saver is on/gmail allow with my Note 9.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
When data saver is on, I'm not receiving all notification from Gmail with down below settings.

Android system setting/notifications/gmail is on.
Android system setting/apps/gmail/optimize battery usage/not optimized.
Android system setting/connections/data usage/data saver on/gmail/allow app while data saver on set to on.
Gmail app/settings/gmail account/notification set to all + Inbox notifications/notify for every message on.
Android system setting/apps/gmail/storage/clear cache.

I need to turn off the whole dater saver to receive it. I set "allow app while data saver on" for Gmail,but it doesn't care and not sending almost all mails. I would like to set dater saver to increase my battery life but I do not know which system app,there is so many.., to make the push service on for Gmail..
If data saver is set to off it drains my battery for about 15%/2 hour just for net serfing.
Is this normal?
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pierhh
Halo

Re: Not receiving gmail notification if data saver is on/gmail allow

JUMP TO SOLUTION

F,finally I found the way to fix the problem...

Google app setting/manage label/set each label to receive every mail...

Don't know why I still can't receive Samsung mail app but this is the way to receive "ALL" mail for gmail app.

I wish I can help if someone gets in to this trouble.

And thank you for person who try to help me.

12 REPLIES 12
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I get your full model code, baseband version, carrier information?

Pierhh
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Its os software issue, happening to all my galaxy from various country.So no reply like which model, or cache clear please.I just want to know how to fix the problem,if there is a way to receive all notification from gmail with data saver ON.By manually enabling just gmail app doesn't work.

Pierhh
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Suddenly not receiving some mails again with no setting change, data saver is off aswell.

I'm not receiving all mails from outside of primary inbox like updates,forum,promotion and social.

Gmail settings> Select account> Scroll down to Inbox categories uncheck all categories, fixed those categories mails but it does not notify when the phone is in sleep mode.Right after I press the sleep button and wake my phone,suddenly I receive all message..
Pierhh
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tried this also but no chance.Number 6 in the link seems to be gone in Galaxy setting.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kqzyfj.com%2Fclick-7293382-11365093%3Fsid...

Pierhh
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I guess it only happens with Galaxy phone
John79x
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not sure if this might fix the problem. But I have two thoughts for you.

1. I don't use data saver. But I go through all my apps manually in >Settings >Apps and turn backround data off on all my apps except the ones I want to receive notifications from.

2. I use my Gmail account through the Samsung email app rather than the actual Gmail app itself. I have the Gmail app disabled.

I like it better because the app has my Samsung theme. But one thing is there is no "archive" button. You have to click "move" and you'll see a grayed out Gmail folder the first time. But if you click on the folder it opens up sub-folders that has "all mail", which is the same as archiving.

And just a FYI in case you didn't know, data saving only works over mobile LTE networks and is not being applied when you are on WiFi.

Unless you manually set each one of your saved WiFi networks to treat the network as "Metered".

You go to >Settings >Connections >Data Usage >Restrict Networks. 

All this works perfect for me on my Galaxy Note 9.

Oh, and it can be a little bit of a pain. But you might want to do a settings reset before trying all this if you are going to. It might clear out any bugs holding up your notifications. Not talking about a factory data reset, just settings. 

Although, worst case scenario, factory data reset is always the last resort.

Pierhh
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply.

Data saver is off.

I've installed emall app from Samsung and input my gmail imap server and all that but no notification even the primary inbox one.I have to manually open the app and drag my finger top to down to get the new mails.

I factory reset this phone in the first place and the problem existed with gmail app in the beginning.There is no other app has this notification problem.I'm using wifi connection and all the other devices are recieving all category mails no problem..

Also with this new email app, I moved my mail to created folder but I can receive all mail,even the same sender,with top main inbox only.Is there anyway to separate certain mails with different folder?

Are you using the Samsung app with gmail account?Free Gsuite account?? With different categories??

I used to use old gmail on my PC and moved mail to different categories to receive mails with different inbox.Now there is new gmail UI and I can not move it around anymore,don't know how to.I need to go back to the old UI and apply it.This might be the problem??

Highlighted
John79x
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I use a Gmail account through the Samsung email app.

I don't know exactly what you mean by separating different emails into created folders and what not. I'm finding all your questions there confusing, sorry.

I just archive my inbox emails to the all mail folder. But I don't know why your emails aren't coming through without you having to pull down and refresh your inbox, sorry.

Just thought I'd try to give you some ideas, but apparently my suggestions aren't going to help you, sorry.

Ever consider going somewhere for help? Maybe take it in to Best Buy and ask the Geek Sqaud, or some other tech service kind of place.

Pierhh
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your help.

I was talking about different catgories in the default gmail, primary/social/promotions/updates/and forum.I can receive mails with different folder/categories and not in the same inbox.

Well thank you anyways, will try those tech services also.