cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Note 9 Doing random things

Hi!

I am giving it one last go at fixing my Note 9. It seems to be doing random things. It will try to wake up and go to the pin screen. When the phone is open it will open the camera and take pictures.

It used to have issues opening the notifications tray and keeping it open. Also used to skip songs on Spotify and You Tube constantly.

For some reason the August 2020 update wasnt pushed by ATT until I swapped SIMS. I hoped that would fix the problem but the phone just started to do the open camera thing and wake up phone again.

The phone also occasionally runs warm but not often.

I tried turning on touch tracking to see if ghost touches were happening but no luck. Just seems to be doing a specific few things randomly. 

Also it is doing these things by itself without me touching. As i type this it is now constantly locking and opening to the pin screen.

Help please! It might be salvagable? I thought it was an OS problem but seems like a ardware problem now 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Note 9 Doing random things

Factory reset. Before of the reset, respawn your data with it Smart Switch on your computer to save all your data, easly, quickly and completly.
Highlighted

I actually have a backup in smart switch that is recent but have done a lot of resets with no luck :/

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

My previous S9 was doing this because I wasn't using genuine cables to charge it. Not saying this might be your case but have you noticed if it goes crazier when charging it? This sounds like a touch-screen hardware issue and may either have water intrusion or a ribbon cable thats compressed internally. You may have to take it apart (if you're familiar with this) otherwise take it to a repair shop to check if any cable is compressed or shorting. Best of luck.

Highlighted

Hi! So I just started charging it only with the OEM cable (I luckaly found it) ive done it for the past few nights with no luck.

The water issue is one I could believe. I have been 'washing' my phone due to the health crisis. I'd expect the waterproofing should be enough to handle this but maybe not.

A shorted or compressed ribon could also be the culprit. However, It seems confusing that the phone is doing specific things not just random things, and no ghost touch input can be seen on the screen. If a button were shorted that would maybe go away if I turned off quick launch, but that is not the case. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Do you have a screen protector installed? Many times when the screen protector starts to come loose from the screen they generate phantom touches.