cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user1cqcwiiubU
Constellation

Note 9 - Unable to send group text messages

Hi,

I'm having issues with the Messages app of my new Note 9.  I can send individual messages to individual people without issue.  But, I cannot send group texts to anyone, although I can receive them.  In the text box where I should type the message it says, "Unable to send messages".  And, in my conversation list, all the group messages that I have (which were transferred over to my Note 9 from my S7 Edge) have an unsual symbol on the lower, right-hand side of the message preview: it is a "N" in the center of a blue circle.

I've checked my settings, and I've set the group conversations option to on. I also disabled NFC (because I thought that's what the N icon was referring to) but nothing happened.  I've also restarted my Note a couple times.  Any advice on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Che

25 REPLIES 25
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Note 9 - Unable to send group text messages

I would recommend reaching out directly to your carrier as messaging is a carrier feature.

userDBoqKNJdfh
Astronaut

I just got my Note 9 today with Verizon and have the same issue.

Red Giant

what are the carrier, model number, and software build number from the settings > about phone?

what messaging app do you use and version of the app?

usern6uMNGLqvF
Asteroid

Same thing for me.  I'm on Cricket.  My prevous phone was a Note 5.  I can reply to some Group messages but not all Group messages.  Doesn't matter if I'm on cellular or wifi. 

Also, the icon that is to the right of the text box is the Samsung Voice Recorder icon.  It's white with light blue background on mine but looks like this and is on every text message so I doubt it has anything to do with it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.voicenote&hl=en_US 

I don't seem to have this problem with Google Messages.  I was able to send using it.    

Model number Android 8.1.0, Samsung experience number 9.5

software build number M1ajq.n960u1ues1arj9

Samsung Messages 5.0.25.53 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@usern6uMNGLqvF What is the model number of your phone? Have you tried soft resetting your phone?

usern6uMNGLqvF
Asteroid

Note9 SM-N960U1

Factory unlocked

I tried clearing the cash and restarting it.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@usern6uMNGLqvF Can you confirm that this happens in safe mode using this link. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001076/

usern6uMNGLqvF
Asteroid

Also, when I scroll through all the conversations, the ones that have this problem have a little white N with a blue background just under the date in the bottom right corner right where the pin would be if I were to pin the conversation.  

Yes, this happens in safe mode. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@usern6uMNGLqvF How many people are in your group text because there are some cellular companies that limit 10 people to a group text?