cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TyeGeek
Asteroid

Re: Note 9 camera freezes

I see Forbes put out an article on this now... Hopefully we can get some support for our 1000$+ devices soon. Smiley Sad

Goldenheart
Constellation

Wow, I just got back from a ten day vacation in Spain and I was lucky to never have the camera freeze once. Mainly I used the double power button to quickly get to my camera app. I loved how quick the camera was ready. I have the tmobile 128gb model and saving to SD card. Took well over a thousand photos and videos with no issues.  But man if I had issues that would have driven me crazy. 

nizmoz44
Cosmic Ray

It happens more often with the video from the camera than photos.  At least for me.

userI4q3GCFuFx
Cosmic Ray

Great find I can confirm the camera doesn't lag from a double press of the power button with the phone locked. Same if you launch the camera from lockscreen.

My camera has started lagging again opening while the phone is unlocked. 

userj51UWlUzVW
Constellation

If you're within your return period do yourself a favor and swap it out for pixel or iPhone.  Samsung has a long history of disappointment with me.  I've owned half a dozen Samsung phones starting with original Galaxy through S7 edge.  All had problems ranging from what's described here; to melting chargers.  I was very tempted to pick up one of these note 9's. Now I'm just going to get the new iPhone despite my pixel one still running like a champ.  Seriously this is the first Android phone that I've never had to actively maintain ex... wiping cachecache/ factory reset.  Until Samsung stops monkeying around with the OS adding their touchwiz or whatever they're calling it now and st running pure Android I'm done with Samsung.  

userI4q3GCFuFx
Cosmic Ray

This issue is getting picked up by multiple websites.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/09/users-experiencing-camera-freezes-on-samsung-galaxy-note-9....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2018/09/17/samsung-galaxy-note-9-camera-freeze-problem

Also to the Samsung tech supervisor I just spoke to, I forgot to mention this lag does not occur in Auto mode. I'm seeing it in Pro mode every time and the video modes as well as Panaroma

userYCRnZLWn84
Asteroid

It happens in any mode.

userI4q3GCFuFx
Cosmic Ray

Just Pro and video modes for me but that's annoying. Does yours work fine when opening camera from lockscreen?
userYCRnZLWn84
Asteroid

It always works fine after a reboot. I haven't pinned down what triggers the freezing. I am assuming it's a driver issue from an app referencing the camera. Once the app is run the camera acts up.

userI4q3GCFuFx
Cosmic Ray

This is everything I've discovered about this issue. These are results of attempting to isolate the cause of the lag on my phone and may not be the same for everyone's devices.

1. The camera app lags most in Pro, panorama and video modes. Auto mode hasn't been lagging for me.

2. There is no lag when using the camera in these conditions:
off a fresh restart
hard reset
wiped cache partition
full wipe of the device
safe mode
Yes I've done all of them.

3. The lag does not occur when launching the camera from lockscreen with double press of power button or with the lockscreen shortcut. Lag only occurs when launching the app while phone is unlocked.

4. I noticed this morning the exact moment the lag started happening off a fresh restart of my device. The camera was not lagging at all off the restart.
When I had the camera app open in pro mode and the phone unlocked, I received a notification with sound and the notification preview at the top of the screen. As soon as the notification showed up, the camera immediately started lagging. Since then, the camera app continued to lag despite clearing app cache and force closing the camera app.
I have not been able to reproduce this a second time yet.

5. When the camera is lagging, you will hear a faint click every time the lag occurs. It's very similar sound to the click of the aperture switching mechanism. Could also be the focus hunting. On screen, when the camera lags, it looks like it's hunting for focus. But the lag will hold the same image on the screen for 1-2 seconds despite phone being moved around. 

I'm using a US unlocked device with no SD card installed. WQHD+ resolution. No battery saving turned on.