cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KPsquared
Asteroid

Re: Note 9 camera freezes

So, I recently installed the latest beta update of Android Pie and Samsung One UI (which overall is lovely btw) on my ATT 512gb. I have had zero camera crashes, and the image actually looks better when I take photos and videos now. I think that it is definitely a software issue. 

Only thing I'm running into now is my Phone app occasionally crashes, and when it does it doesnt stop until I reboot. I think it's a conflict with FB Messenger but I'm not sure yet. It is far worse than the camera freezing though. Of course, I'm on a beta version that technically wasnt even released for ATT. 

ZEOS
Asteroid

Thanks for the update I'm looking forward to the Android 9 upgrade. It would be cool if they got rid of the 4K video recording time limit as well.

KPsquared
Asteroid

Screenshot nope lol

ZEOS
Asteroid

Oh well, trying to keep hope alive on that as well, maybe Android 10 or next device.

JSY
Asteroid

Can folks who got the update come back and tell us if you are experiencing any issues? I feel inclined that since you are silent, that everything is working well with the camera because people only voice complaints.  LOL

But on a serious note, it's 2 January and ATT/128 here, still have no update - nor do I have an security patch update for December yet.  Now, I know that it's up to the carrier to put this fix out there, but I wish Samsung could have marked it as more urgent than "Improved Camera Stability" - which makes it seem to be not much of an issue at all.  For a lot of us, this is a critical update for a basic function of the phone.  Maybe the carriers would be pushing it out quicker.  Maybe not - who knows.

I'm just here again voicing how silly I was for having to rely on an iPhone XSM this past Christmas and New Year's holidays because I could not risk losing shots like I did on Thanksgiving with the Note 9.  While we all wait for this fix to come out (which we still don't know if it will fix the issue), the S10 is supposed to be unveiled next month and I am sure Samsung is not paying much attention to the Note 9 right now much less this issue that is happening to only a portion of it's customers.

But this does affect my impression of Samsung and their phones.  I'm not going deep end and swearing off the phones but it does give me a sour taste in the way this has been for me.  I've owned each Note since the first one (still have it) except the Note 5 and this has been the most disappointing experience I've had with a Note, and that is including the Note 7 as that was more how it was handled rather than phone functionality for me.  The camera on these phones mean a huge deal to me and not being able to use that aspect of the phone is painful and embarassing.

Anyway, I hope the fix comes sometime in Q1.

KPsquared
Asteroid

I used my camera (ATT/512gb with Pie/OneUI) a lot over the past three days and its given me 0 problems. I would have frozen up at least 20 times by now with the rate that I've opened the camera up and snapped something. I've used everything except burst shot and it's been buttery smooth.

4k 60fps has also gotten smoother and richer in overall image production. Being a photographer, I use Pro mode a lot, and it's held up to my rapid, constant changes.

This version I'm using is still having issues with the Phone app freezing when I get or make a call, and Sansung+ app doesn't work (opens and immediately closes). I'm not holding this against them right now though since it's still not technically an official release. 

Everything is LOVELY on here. Once you get this update, I'm confident you and everyone else here will love it (especially Night Mode that quickly blacks everything out in the UI).

JSY
Asteroid

Thanks - that is very promising to hear. However, it would seem like the Note 9 is note scheduled to get Pie until either Feb or Mar, and then it's up to the carriers? What you describe does sound great. That said, not sure I can hold up for the next version of Android vs. waiting for this elusive fix that is supposedly out there. Smiley Happy

Yeah, I would guess the problems you are seeing is because it's in beta.

Thanks for the heads up!
KPsquared
Asteroid

No problem! Yeah, there's a place out there on the interwebs that houses a bunch of firmware update. Super easy to use and great for adventurous techies like me 🤪

Yeah, I agree that this lengthy wait is pretty ridiculous. WellW be 5 months away from the Note10 releasing at that point. Crazy to think about considering that today is only 1/2/19, lol.

ZEOS
Asteroid

Sounds like it's fixed which is awesome, and if it is then i'll probably stick with the 512GB Note9 for a couple years (just got mine a month ago) til the "Note10 or 11" if not then I'll probably switch to somthing else which would be unfortunate. Of course if Apple comes out with something truely awesome then that may be an option.

MikeBates
Cosmic Ray

M1AJQ.N960USQU1ARL1 received today on Verizon. Just updated. No mention of camera at all in release notes .

The details: Release date: 01/04/2019 Android® Security Patch Level: December 1, 2018 Software Version: M1AJQ.N960USQU1ARL1 What's changing: The current software update gives you the most up to date Android security patches on your device.