cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userymOwumN8X2
Cosmic Ray

Re: Note 9 compass error after Pie update

No problem.

In astronomy apps, (I have many installed), when you point your phone to any direction, it goes back to the west, that is if you calibrate the magnetic sensor. If you do not calibrate the magnetic sensor, on my phone, it is 180 degrees off.

I tried *#0*# from the phone app(as if you were calling *#0*#), then went to sensors, if you do a test on the magnetic sensor, then the sensor looses calibration, if you exit without calibrating, my phone is off by 180degrees,  but when I do the calibration, the phone compass and any app uses it, they all point west +- few degrees.

The sensor sends wrong info, it is in the operating system. The latest update broke it, they need to update the operating system instead of sending costumers to workshops that are going to do nothing!

Thank you,

userILA3GD9ntB
Constellation

SM-N960U

N960USQU1CSAA

ATT

Same issue after the Pie update, no problems prior.

usermSvk1LdjNv
Constellation

I'm on Att build SM-N960UCSAA so far it's ok..

userymOwumN8X2
Cosmic Ray

Did you update your phone to android 9?

If you hold your phone up in front of you and turn it around to point to the directions (east-west...), will the compass work properly?

The compass I am talking about is the one on the side apps.

Thank you,

Highlighted

@userymOwumN8X2 wrote:

If you hold your phone up in front of you and turn it around to point to the directions (east-west...), will the compass work properly?

Thank you,

The phone has been updated to 9 for the past week and a half.  Compass don't work held upright.  If I hold up upright, it goes even worse than before.  If I hold it like a compass should be held, EVERY reading is 90 degrees off, no matter which way I turn.  The problem is the sensor, not the apps.  All the apps, regardless of the type on my phone, and OUR phones that use the compass is messed up.  I've loaded the one on the edge apps and I get the exact same result as what I have on the other 10 apps that I've tested it on.  The only thing that all the apps have in common is that they all run off the same sensor. 

userymOwumN8X2
Cosmic Ray

If you dial *#0*# then sensors and then test magnetic sensor, the sensor will loose calibration. Now exit without calibrating, hold the phone up in front of you with the compass app open, the compass will not run around, but will be off by 180 degrees in my case.

Once you do the 8 shape calibration, and hold it up in front of you, it will go crazy!

Samsung used us as beta testers!

@userymOwumN8X2 wrote:

If you dial *#0*# then sensors and then test magnetic sensor, the sensor will loose calibration. Now exit without calibrating, hold the phone up in front of you with the compass app open, the compass will not run around, but will be off by 180 degrees in my case.

Once you do the 8 shape calibration, and hold it up in front of you, it will go crazy!

Samsung used us as beta testers!

Dialed *#0*#

Clicked Sensors

Click Magnetic

Lost calibration

closed window

Open compass

Calibrated with figure 8

Held it up in front of me

90 degrees off.  Still

userymOwumN8X2
Cosmic Ray

Thank you,

user8qdzGmEDdX
Cosmic Ray

Give us new phone samsung this is unacceptable 

userymOwumN8X2
Cosmic Ray

Thank you,