cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Note 9 screen went black it will not boot, will not hold a charge

My phone is no longer under waranty, I bought it refurbished from ebay, it looked brand new.  I've had it 5 weeks and really was loving it. I plugged it into the charger and noticed the battery power had gone to 0 and turned off.   I went back to check on it after a couple hours and when I hit the power button the screen stayed black, the phone vibrates very briefly every 30 sec or so and a small blue lcd illuminates at the screen edge at the top every 30 sec or so.  It was working perfectly prior to this, I havent dropped it, nor gotten it wet.  I went on youtube and watched dozens of videos on how to soft boot, hard boot, safe mode, I took it to UBREAKiFIX, they should be called UBREAKIHAVENOIDEA HOW TO FIXBUTICHARGEYOU$300, at least on youtube there were suggestion, I took it to Best Buy, the other samsung authorized repair and even spoke with the samsung rep, he fiddled with it for a couple mins but offered no solutions either.  While I was there 2 other customers came in with the same problem, when researching this online this seems like a common problem not just on the Note 9.  I wish I had known samsung was having possible problems with their phones suddenly dying through no fault of the user, I wouldn't have purchased one without an ironclad waranty.  I have Samsung tv's, fridge, stove, washer and several previous phones but this is such a distruption not having a phone, I'm self employeed if I don't have a working phone I don't get work.  In the past I always just looked at the samsung phones I guess I thought it would be easier to transfer info and I already knew their system.  I'm very disappointed and after reading that the black screen problem is more common than I thought it concerns me.  If it's not user error than it's defective, I know there's a 1 year waranty but if the product is failing shortly after that than that should be disclosed.  If you bought a ford car but no one told you there's a good chance after your waranty expires your car will stop and never work again but your still going to have to make payments on it for the next two years how would you feel. I've only made 1 payment on it. ONE.  I have 23 more.  Ok I had to vent, I feel a little better but I would feel much better if anyone has a solution.  I plugged the usb charger into my pc to see if I could access the files and my pc doesn't recognize that its been plugged in HELP!Smiley Mad

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Note 9 screen went black it will not boot, will not hold a charge

A couple of years ago, I had pretty much the same issue happen with a Note 5 that I had.  Screen went black, blue light flicker every so often and the phone got HOT!!  Hot enough I took it out of my otterbox, and sat the phone on concrete well away from anything combustable.  I left it alone for several hours until the battery was totally dead and the phone was cold.  Left it off and put it on charge for an hour or so until the battery was showing maybe 40-60% or so before I turned it back on.  Didn't have any problem with it from there until I upgraded to my Note 9.  

Try letting it totally go dead and see if it will reset.  No charge until it's dead.  Something to try.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Note 9 screen went black it will not boot, will not hold a charge

BBB thank you for answering my call for help. When i was at Best Buy looking for help the Samsung rep suggested the same thing.  I tried that 2 days ago and same result.  It just doesnt want to get past the intial boot, like it's stuck in a loop.  It makes the initial quick vibrate the little blue dot at edge of screen lights up for maybe 10 secs and then nothing for 20 sec or so then it repeats.  The person I purchased it from on Ebay said I should return it using ebay returns which is great but, now I'm faced with the dilema if I send it back this phone now has my life on it.  How do I remove all my pics, my banking info, my billing, credit cards... everything was transferred onto that phone.  I worried that someone with more knowledge than me (not too difficult) will get the phone up an running and have access to everything.  I plugged the phone into my laptop thinking I could access the files that way but my laptop isnt recognizing it.  You know what's odd, I could find little info on this site on this problem yet on youtube there's all kinds of history of the same thing happening not only on the Note 9 but on about every galaxy.  When I was at Best Buy 2 other people came in with the same problem...Smething doesn't smell right and it ain't NJ.  I just want the phone to work.  I don't want to take the chance of someone getting access to all my info so unless I can wipe the phone and reset some how I'm stuck.  Happy New Year tho.  Thanks again for the suggestion.