Original topic:

Note 9 screen turns off while reading

(Topic created: 02-04-2019 09:35 AM)
Note_Fan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi, 

I have had my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 128GB (US Unlocked) for the past 1 week and I am have 1 issue with the display I realised that the screen will go off by itself when I am reading a articles off the web or while watching a clip on my phone. It does not matter if this act is done in a well-lit or a dark area. I have looked into the phone setting menu amd did not find any possible setting for this. It is very frustrating to be interrupted by this issue especially when reading important article on my phone. 

My phone has been updated with all the  latest patch and update from Samsung and thing is still the same

Btw, my note 5 screen will stay on for as long as I look at it, but just not on my Note 9.

Please advise on the possible fix, thanks. 

10 Replies
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Have you checked this setting yet?

Settings>Display>Screen Timeout

0 Likes
Note_Fan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi, 

I have tried 15 sec and 30 sec as the timeout timing and the phone acted the same on both. I have another co-worker who is having the same phone and faced the same issue as me. What could be the cause of the issue and is there anyway to verify the cause? Is there any diagnoistic test that I can run on this phone to test for faulty hardware?

For the Note  9, am I right to assume that the display of the phone should remain on for as long as I am looking at it because the sensor on the phone is tracking my face and eyeballs as I look at the phone.

0 Likes
Solution
The Lighting Guru
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Go into Advanced Settings and check that Smart Stay is toggled on. If it's on and still not working It could be a software issue.

Note_Fan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you all for the response. This issue is solved.

0 Likes
userEjyIcLdGcs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi,

How you solved it? because I have the same problem

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userEjyIcLdGcs give this a try: Go into Advanced Settings and check that Smart Stay is toggled on. Does this happen if your device is in safe mode?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userEjyIcLdGcs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Smart stay is on and it happens in normal mode not in safe mode 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

If it doesn't happen in safe mode then it's a third party app causing the symptoms. Have you downloaded any new apps recently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Note_Fan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi,

Sorry for that late reply. My problem was fixed when I turn on the smart stay feature.

0 Likes