cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user0cTAAS3KMi
Astronaut

Re: Note 9 speaker problem

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bought my Note 9 2018 Black Friday.  I am having speaker issues.  When on the phone with the speaker on, the sound switches between speakers and will drop out.  I'm pretty upset about this.  Does the Note 8 do this, too?

Wicked68
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I noticed something like this while watching YouTube. It's like the sound switches from 1 speaker to the other
dakova2000
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I ordered my phone (Sprint PCS version) on black friday from samsung.com direct (USA) and i am noticing that some of the complaints here are from people that ordered from samsung.com ... could this be a bad batch?

I am coming from an S8plus and first noticed this low volume output issue when i tried to use the google maps navigation in the car, i could barely hear it considering i always used it on the S8plus and it was very audible even when speeding or loud traffic.

I took my phone to the Samsung rep at best buy, we tested the same music video on the display model and mine with the same YouTube source and settings and the volume of mine was significantly lower than the test model (even at max volume). I also took it to the sprint office and conducted the same test and the volume was very low too. Both reps recommend i return it to Samsung.

I called Samsung for an exchange (same phone replacement) and it was a really difficult conversation (over 2 hrs) after which the rep still said they cannot exchange it and that i would have to return it and purchase a new one from them, keep in mind the phone was 4 days old. I explained the complications this would cause as the phone was already activated with sprint with the black friday pricing. They said i should pay the full price and then send the old one back.

Now with seeing all the comments here i am not sure if it is a software issue or hardware. I am scared to send the phone back as it will screw up my account. I am so disappointed Samsung is not reacting to these complaints nor doing exchanges/replacements on the phones bought directly from samsung.com. You would thing they put in better contingencies since the Note 7 fiasco.

SAMUNG PLEASE HELP !!!

userPw8zCcNVJ4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue, and it seems to happen when tilting the phone, even on calls! Had anyone figured out the issue yet, or should I return it for a new one since I'm writing the time frame still?

Thanks!

A

FYLegend21
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Anyone here on the One UI/Pie Beta still having the problem?
chargfox
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just got my Note 9 Christmas eve.  It was shipped to me from AT&T. I'm in the US. It has done this since day 1 randomly. It sounds like if you would change a left/right balanced speaker to only one side. It does it in YouTube, music, games, the pre-installed video app, videos/music saved to my SD or device, connected or unconnected to Bluetooth, even when lying on a flat surface with nothing near the speaker that might muffle the sound. The only thing I haven't tried it with is headphones. The first thing I tried was turning off Dolby, but the same thing happens. Yes it is very annoying and being that it's just a couple of weeks old, I may be returning it for a different model. I never had a similar issue on my S5 or S7. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@chargfox Try clearing the cache from the phone app.

chargfox
Constellation

Note 9 speaker FIXED!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did that. I'm not unfamiliar with Samsung. It's the first thing I tried, including restarting and clearing the dalvick cache. 

I did however find the issue about a day after posting. I kept fiddling with the settings until I found it.

Under accessibility/hearing, switch from stereo to mono. I haven't had the issue once since I changed it. 

Samsung needs to fix this.

FYLegend21
Cosmic Ray

Re: Note 9 speaker FIXED!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This doesn't help at all. I switched to mono and my phone still does this occasionally. I haven't checked on my latest update but it seems to happen a lot after a restart and settles down after a day of use. It also seems more likely when the phone is at maximum volume.

chargfox
Constellation

Re: Note 9 speaker FIXED!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Strange. Mine still hasn't had the issue since I switched it. I also have Dolby Atmos turned offoff. But those are the only two settings that aren't default  I turned Dolby off but still had the problem, until I switched to mono. 

This is definitely some software glitch in the stereo settings somewhere and you don't spend nearly a grand to put up with this. Samsung needs to fix this ASAP