cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BabuMan
Asteroid

Notification sound plays even when phone is in Vibrate or Silent mode

This is really annoying.  I put my phone on silent mode when I am in office meetings or when I am asleep or when I am in a movie theatre etc.  My Note 9 seems to have its own mind when to turn on sound for notification.  I don't have a clue what makes it turn on sound when I have intentionally turned it off.

I have combed through internet and this forum for a resolution.  I saw couple of people saying that going to "settings->Apps->Special Access->Notification Access" and turning Google off.  But on my phone I don't see Google in the Notification Access screen.  I only see Google VR Service and nothing else that starts with the word "Google".  I did turn or Google VR Service not did not work.  

My phone is updated with all the latest updates I was notified about.

As a software developer myself, I think this is totally irresponsible attitude.  I have seen this exact problem I am reporting about, as way back as May 2019 from other members of this forum.  Yet no fix?

My Model No: SM-N960F

Baseband Version: N960FXXS3CSG1

Service Provider: T-Moble (USA)

Last update from both Samsung and T-Mobile is applied in August, 2019.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Notification sound plays even when phone is in Vibrate or Silent mode

Ok. How are you muting your sounds?  There are several ways of doing it.

If you want total silence, pull down menu from the home page, click the button that looks like a speaker with sounds waves. 1st click silence, but vibrates. 2nd click silence, no vibrate. 3rd click back to normal. 

If you're hitting the do not disturb button, that will mute only what is set for silence. Settings > notifications > do not disturb. Here, you can set things on a timer setting. To block for example, email overnight or block all phone calls except for certain numbers. The same with text messages and other notifications. 

Or are you going to settings > sounds and vibrations and turning the notification sounds to off?  For that, you need to go to settings > apps > and go to EACH app that is capable of notification and turn it off. 

In other words, to kill all sounds, best bet is to pull down menu, hit mute. To kill sounds at night, setup and turn on do not disturb. 

Hitting the Mute button on mine and I've never had a sound come through. Nothing. 

BabuMan
Asteroid

Thanks for the Big-Bad-Brad,

I am doing it from the pull down menu from the home page.  When in normal (sound) mode, some times I click once to make it vibrate only when I am in meetings since only I can feel it and no one else hears it, I am good.  Further, my gear s3 watch will also vibrate and I can take a quick look at my watch to see if it is anything really important.  Some other times, I click twice to put it into silent mode, usually when I go to bed at night.

The problem is, no matter whether I put it on vibrate only mode or silent mode, sporadically, it puts itself into sound mode and my notifications start chiming, ringing, chirping etc. which drives me crazy.  When I pull down the menu again, I can clearly see that it has set itself into sound mode.  I didn't do it.  May be there is a poltergeist in my phone.  Who knows!  This is making me want to hate Samsung.  In the past, I have used LG, Nokia, Sony, Huawei etc. and never had this problem.  So, doubt if it is an android issue.  It has to be a Samsung issue.

I have also seen a few others posting the same exact problem here in this forum as well as other places.  So, I am definitely not alone on this.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@BabuMan Have you tried clearing the cache partition on your phone? Here are the steps to clear the cache partition on your phone. 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Hold down these three keys:
    • Volume Up
    • Home
    • Power
  3. When the phone vibrates:
    1. Release the Power key.
    2. Continue to hold down the Volume Up and Home keys.
  4. When the Android system recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
  5. Press the Volume Down key until wipe cache partition is selected.
    wipe cache.png
  6. Press the Power key.
  7. Wait until reboot system now is selected.
    reboot.png
  8. Press the Power key
BabuMan
Asteroid

@SamsungQue,

Yes, I had already tried that.  After clearing cache, I thought it was good.  But only lasted for a day.  Or may be less.  The problem started again.  Just last night I had it on Vibrate only mode and was watching a movie.  Then it made the notification sound to alert me to a message.  And of course I found that the sound had turned itself on.  I am getting tired of this.  I do have an LG V20 phone that is not too old.  I am even thinking about switching my device to LG from my Note 9.  Needless to say I am infuriated at a $1200 device.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@BabuMan Does this issue still persist if you put your phone in safe mode? Here are the steps to put your phone in safe mode? 

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen appearing on the screen.
  3. When SAMSUNG appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. When Safe mode appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, release the Volume down key.
  7. While in Safe mode, you can now uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode

1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart > Restart.
  3. The device will restart in standard mode and you can resume normal use.
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@BabuMan Thanks for reaching out. This forum is for support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry