cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useryEHG3syqTh
Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung Internet - change "New Tab" from opening Google page

I found this solution, install the Beta for the Internet browser,  adblock works and New tab opens the HOMEPAGE.

Also has the one UI design.

Works on the S8 plus Oreo.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/samsung-internet-beta/samsung-internet-beta...

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

Nope!

user2d4cM3ToXx
Astronaut

I HAVE A SOLUTION
This bug has been infuriating me for about a day now and I tried everything from updating my phone, clearing the inertnet app data and cache, and swapping between search engines and homepages from within the app itself...none of that worked. This is what I did to finally fix it:

Go into the Play Store and search for the Samsung Internet app that you have on your phone and hit the "Uninstall" button. This doesn't get rid of the app from your phone since it's a core system app but it will remove all the recent updates and revert it back to version 7.2 or so. 

Then, once the app has uninstalled all the updates, go back into it and it should open up to the T-Mobile page or whatever you have. Set the search engine and homepage to Bing. At this point, new tabs should open with Bing and hitting the homepage will bring you to Bing as well. However, since you probably don't want to use the outdated and buggy early version of Samsung Internet, go to the 'bread crumbs' in the top right and from within the app itself there will be the option to update it. I updated mine back up to the current version and my search engine and homepage are still Bing and new tabs open with Bing. Life is good.

Hope this can be of service to you fellow Bing warriors against the supreme power of Google~!

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

I really, really.... was hopeful. Got me all excited!

But, no cigar. 

There is no uninstall option available. There are two, Update, and Open... that's it!

Smiley Sad

userYLBtX40OCj
Constellation

My phone did not do this until today. I have been using an s7 with Samsung Browser for the last year+. I always had phone set to open new tab to quick access and it did. Just tonight was opening tab and all went to google. Then I tried secret mode and it worked normally opening to quick access. I closed the browser again, reopened and then both methods only opened to google search page. Browser deleted. Thanks for ruining all my tabs.

Highlighted
AskaLangly
Constellation

512 GB Note 9, unlocked US version.

Changed the homepage. It affects pressing the Home button in the browser.

Opening new tabs takes you to Google, regardless of homepage set, I take it.

Yeah, doesn't work here either. And my homepage is about:blank.

My S7 opens up Quick Access when I open up a tab... Samsung did it once, but forgot now?

At least Google finally allows you to nickname payment cards after removing the ability 3 years prior; hint, hint.