cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userkloi24lSAY
Constellation

Samsung Internet - change "New Tab" from opening Google page

How do i change the "New Tab" from opening Google's page?  I was able to change my Homepage and Search engine, but i see no option for change the default New Tab page.

Note 9 from AT&T

35 REPLIES 35
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung Internet - change "New Tab" from opening Google page

This is not a function of the device.

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

I don't understand your answer.

I am a multi-generation note user and I never had an issue with new tabs not opening in my default homepage. With the note 9 new tabs open to google.com, not the preset homepage I chose. There is no way to make new tabs not open to google.com. I constantly have to go back to bing.com manually since all new tabs open to google.com, which again, is NOT the preset homepage.

userkloi24lSAY
Constellation

Exactly same for me...

Been a long time Note user...  Note 3, 4, 7, 8, 9. 

Every time I open a new tab I have to change it back to Bing.com (my homepage).  Drives me crazy to see the Google page.  Hope they fix it soon.

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

Still no solution?

My solution is use Firefox or Waterfox. It has an option in settings to make your homepage the same for new tabs.

Samsung Internet can't get that done.

Go figure. 

🤷‍♀️

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

Come on Samsung techs!

You have to be able to fix this. It really shouldn't be this hard. You have firefox that has it down. Really?

I want my new tab to open in my preset homepage. Why is this so hard to do?

Thanks

CtrlZThis
Galaxy

Just saw this post and thought I'd try it.  

I opened Samsung internet, hit the bird crumbs at the top right, scrolled down to settings, Homepage then clicked Other and changed my Homepage to bing.com and every time I open a new tab, it opens Bing.   

Not sure what we did different but it works fine for me.  Instead of retypeing the entire URL into the pop up that comes up after tapping Other for changing the Homescreen, I just replaced the text Google with Bing and it works fine!

CtrlZThis
Galaxy

Recap....after doing the change I mentioned above, I rebooted my phone to make sure it stuck and all is well.  Still opens new tabs to Bing.  Gonna switch it back now, not a bing fan personally.

Side note, I discovered the Nighttime mode on Samsung Internet and love it.  Man dark mode is awesome

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

I really got excited thinking they fixed this issue. Unfortunately, I tried it and still have the same problem. I even made the homepage the T-Mobile one that comes preset with the phone and even then new tabs open in Google. I went back to Bing and back to the original problem. 

I don't like Google as they control the results of searches.. one, searches come back with what I need on Bing... two, and finally, Bing gives me rewards that I trade for gift cards because, shut not? But, mostly because I trust Bing more.

Sorry, I digress....

Please Samsung, fix this. Please allow us to control what page new tabs open in. I feel like I have an iPhone....🤣🤣🤣

Kurt2112
Asteroid

This is happening to me also. Google is on each new tab.  Tried all the settings but no luck.

Note 9, t mobile.  just updated system software today for some camera updates but don't think that should be related.  

I love using Samsung browser as you can block all ads which you cannot do with chrome for obvious reasons.