cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userdXXLqipdJ7
Constellation

Re: Samsung Internet - change "New Tab" from opening Google page

Evidently this is an issue they have no intention of fixing. I am using a Note 5 so it has nothing to do with the model we're using, it's Samsung Internet (SI) in cahoots with Google. It must have been an update across the board when they launched the Note 9 because it used to open my homepage when I launched it prior to that . But, anyway, even though SI opens to Google, you don't have to use the Google search field. It's definitely a pain but with a quick bypass you can either hit the homepage icon and go straight to your default homepage or search by typing your queries in the url bar instead of the Google search field. It should search using Bing, your default search engine. I myself prefer Google search, which is inconsequential because what I don't appreciate is Samsung dictating what opens in my tabs. Not cool at all #samsunginternet You changed this setting for a reason and it probably has to do with getting paid every time the Google page is launched from your app. What good is a default homepage setting option if you're browser won't open it when it's launched? 

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

Even worse, when you check "apply to New Tabs" and it doesn't.

Google's search results are biased. Whether you agree with them or not is irrelevant. This is the free world, this is not China. A search engine should never yield biased results, period.

John79x
Halo

@CtrlZThis wrote:

Side note, I discovered the Nighttime mode on Samsung Internet and love it.  Man dark mode is awesome

And now so do I. Thanks!

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

Any luck finding a solution? 

Samsung Care Ambassador

@userkloi24lSAY wrote:

How do i change the "New Tab" from opening Google's page?  I was able to change my Homepage and Search engine, but i see no option for change the default New Tab page.

Note 9 from AT&T

Your default page for a new tab will always be the site that you put inside of your homepage in the settings

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

Yes, except it isn't.

My homepage in settings is Bing.com, yet New Tabs ALWAYS open in Google.com and I have to manually go to Bing, every time. 

I have been posting about this since August. No solution yet. 

DoryDoo
Constellation

I set the Samsung internet settings to Homepage and default search engine = Bing.  Hit the Home icon on the bottom bar, sign into Bing and close out Samsung internet. Next time you open it, it should show your homepage of Bing.com with you signed in. Leave the home page as the last tab open and when you close it out, it reopens with that tab loaded. It worked for me.

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

I always am logged in Bing for rewards purposes.

We're not talking about opening Samsung Internet new. If you have one tab open and add a new tab, that new tab does not open to Bing it opens to Google. If I close down the browser completely then yes, the first tab opens in Bing. It's adding tabs that's the problem.

Try opening Samsung Internet, then add a tab, see what happens. Same if you try adding 10 tabs. You do that by pressing and holding the bottom right of the screen where it says 1 tab, or by light pressing it and touch New Tab also on the bottom right. What page opens up?... Google...

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

To clarify on Larry's response from a while back:

There is no function or setting that directly changes the function of the New Tab option. In changing the home screen and default search engine, it is meant to change the new tab to the new search engine. I tested using a S9 from T-mobile running Android 8.1 and the same that you guys are reporting happened to me. From what I can find, it seems that there is no current method to changing this from automatically going to Google. You would have to physically type in the URL to go to Bing or other engine for the time being. I will put in a feature request for you guys to have this updated. I do want to note, however, that this is only a request and I cannot guarantee that the development teams will in fact change this. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

Cole.

Thank you for your response.

I'm sure you know that this used to be a feature in previous, older, versions.

This feature is also available in other browsers, e.g. Firefox.

Additionally, I don't have to manually enter the URL as it is saved as my home. I just press the home icon in the bottom center of the screen. 

Here's to hoping Samsung will hear us and fix this 🤞