cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Samsung Internet - change "New Tab" from opening Google page

I asked this very question elsewhere. It was noted that Google page opening in new tab  is hard coded and cannot be changed. Sorry.

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

I guessed as much. I just figured if they see we don't want it that they would do something to fix that. After all, if we wanted something against we can't control, we'd have an iPhone. 

usercWu8be1Et7
Asteroid

Same issue, now I regret leaving my note 8 for a note 9. I never use Google but I have to get through Google to get to the sites that I open a new tab for.  I guess I'll have to stop using the new tab feature if I'm gonna have to go through Google to get to the sites I want.  I'm calling att to see if it's too late for me to switch back to note 8. 

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

I open a new tab, press the home button on the bottom center of the screen, then proceed next...

Remember, Android is Google... can't get away from it, I guess!

I'm hoping Samsung will hear our plea and do an update to rectify this.

Unless enough people complain, nothing will happen. Most people just use Google!...

wwejason
Asteroid

Might this be an issue with T-Mobile devices only?  I do not have this problem and I am using a Verizon Note 9.  In another thread, someone is using a T-Mobile Note 9 and they are having this issue.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note-Phones/Samsung-Internet-update-forces-Google-search-...

userYLBtX40OCj
Constellation

Thanks for the heads up about the other thread. Yes, I suppose so. I have MetroPCS which is owned by T-mobile. Why they decided to force redirect to Google two weeks ago is a mystery. I actually liked that browser. Should be filed under "How to make your customers hate you."

useryEHG3syqTh
Cosmic Ray

Same problem here.

This issue is present in the newer phones. My mom had the Note 5 and it would open the home page.

Now, she upgraded to the Note 8 and I have the S8 plus and seems they want to SHOVE DOWN YOUR THROAT THE GOOGLE SEARCH.

I asked in a phone repair store and the guy said  probably they BAKED the setting in the PROP file, like in the configuration file. So no matter what you do the browser will revert to Google.

I use Bing since 2016 simply because Google keeps pushing Sponsored results and never the closest to you or cheapest.

I tried to email the Contact Us in the Browser and the woman who replied was rude saying basically they dont think anything is wrong.

What is funny!! On my old S5, I can set the New Tab to even another website.

Same with the camera.

The S8 camera compared to the S5 is missing EVERYTHING.

MISSING..

BEST SHOT.

OBJECT REMOVAL.

DUAL CAMERA ( CUSTOM BUBBLE DESIGNS).

ALSO MISSING FROM THE NOTE 5 THE BROADCAST FEATURE. 

Sorry Samsung but I will be not upgrading to the S10 series.

Samsung Care Ambassador

@useryEHG3syqTh bon voyage! 🥰

MJMustang
Cosmic Ray

I am a multi-generation Note user. Currently with the Note 9 on T-Mobile. My friend who has AT&T, same phone does not have the Google issues. So, it appears that it's only on the T-Mobile network. As for the camera, the note 9 camera is off the chain.

No need to go upgrade your phones without first trying them out to make sure they have all the features you are looking for.

I will still look for ways to get rid of Google. If I do come up with a solution I will post it here.

useryEHG3syqTh
Cosmic Ray

The issue is present with Sprint too.