cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcyrilp
Asteroid

Samsung Software Updates

@samsungwhen will Android Pie come to the Note 9 ? Why does it take so long for Samsung to release software updates ? This would be a huge milestone if Samsung could release software updates on time and not when it's already a half year old. This is one of the things Apple has a huge advantage on. You guys will grow even larger if you work on getting this right. 

6 REPLIES 6
Comet

Re: Samsung Software Updates

Sorry for not replying sooner.  The reason Samsung takes a bit longer to upgrade is twofold.... one: touchwiz,  aka samsung experience is a thick skin.  And two: Samsung has a large portfolio... kinda slows down the process.  You know with Qualcomm,  carriers,  and samsung themselves  

Project treble is supposed to help,  but only if samsung takes advantage of it. 

CleeS901
Asteroid

It doesn't matter how large their portfolio of devices is, they NEED to be on top of updates for their customers sake. Having known bugs and exploits on their customers devices is hurting their brand more than they think in the long term. I know that Samsung is hugely popular because of the sheer number of phones and appliances they sell but all that could be undone with a known exploit not being patched or fixed in a timely manner. I've always loved Samsung's devices but the lack of software support and going months without a monthly security patch worries me and many many others. They don't seem to take it serious and they could easily remedy it by doing whatever it takes to speed the process up! A couple things I can think of are: hiring more coders/engineers, toning back TouchWiz 2.0/Samsung Expeirence Launcher so it doesn't take 6+ months after a major upgrade to the Android operating system is released from Google! If I were in their shoes I would make the security of my customers devices a top priority. If they don't actually start to get their ship sailing the right way then I'm probably going to get another phone and not come back to Samsung until they have proven they really care. 

Sorry for the little rant there but it all ties into the Pie beta that everyone is foaming at the mouth over to get into. If Samsung wouldn't wait till this long after the official Pie release it wouldn't make so many people upset over it and it would make them FAR more attractive to customers the world over in my opinion and it would most likely increase their sales on everything to a level they haven't seen before  I'm sure.

useranJE4JtqlS
Constellation

I agree this is something that is terrible. I bought my first Samsung device and also the most expensive device I ever bought. The note 9 is cool it has features other password don't have without custom roms. That being said there is no reason for their terribly slow update process. It makes me think their dev's are not up to par even though they have the resources to be the best. I don't know if it's that the customers don't care or maybe don't voice their opinions or Samsung doesn't care. I had a pixel before this and updates were top notch and if I wanted say to customize my phone I could use one of many custom roms or just use substratum and completely change every aspect of the phone. On this phone it has a lot of features that I like so custom roms aren't something I want. But what I do want is to have the current android version on probably the most expensive phone on android. We deserve as much. Especially with how much money we're paying. It is not as hard as people think to update these phones. 

user8qdzGmEDdX
Cosmic Ray

To bad they still rushed it and broke the cumpass im not geting a used phone for my new broken phone this is wrong 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

The beta version for both S9 and Note 9 are done so what happen is the final touch up for the carrier to test and ready for release technically the firmware is ready to release just that the carrier isn't yet. 

user8qdzGmEDdX
Cosmic Ray

And its a mess the broke the cumpass