cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Software upgrade/ ringtones

I just discovered that with the software upgrade has no longer the feature of assigning ringtones to one's specific contact.   I don't get it.  Why would Samsung delete this feature?  Does Samsung even though this happened.  With all the spoof calls people ate receiving, having to be able to assign ringtones to one's contact would identify who's calling. 

Sorely disappointed.   This is one feature that should've never been taken off.   

Put it back on,  Samsung!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Software upgrade/ ringtones

@userfa8OZpj7Le wrote:

I just discovered that with the software upgrade has no longer the feature of assigning ringtones to one's specific contact.   I don't get it.  Why would Samsung delete this feature?  Does Samsung even though this happened.  With all the spoof calls people ate receiving, having to be able to assign ringtones to one's contact would identify who's calling. 

Sorely disappointed.   This is one feature that should've never been taken off.   

Put it back on,  Samsung!

Ring tones on mine didn't change at all.  Open Contacts > Pick a name > Edit (Bottom of the screen) > Scroll down and click View More > Scroll down again to the bottom > Ringtone followed by vibration pattern.  

What I HATE is that the individual TEXT message tones is still missing.  (Yes, I've read all the work arounds.  They don't work for Group messages. ) 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Thanks!  I have spend a couple hours trying to figure this out!  I just updated to Galaxy Note 10+, you saved the day! 

Phoebe

Highlighted
Asteroid

You can still personalize, you just have to do in the text app on that person's name.

Highlighted
Asteroid

In a text message, choose the 3 dots upper right corner. Turn on custom notifications.

Highlighted

@BabeFree wrote:

In a text message, choose the 3 dots upper right corner. Turn on custom notifications.

Yup. Been through that over and over. 2 problems. 
A.  It does not tag the individual, only tags the thread. So you must maintain a copy of that thread forever and ever to keep the customization alive. Once you delete the thread, no more customization. 

B.  It does not carry through to group messages. Tag friend 1 with tone 1. Tag friend 2 with tone 2. Get a message from friend 1 and you get tone 1. Same with friend 2. Start a group conversation and all texts are the default text tone. 

Long ago with Nougat, tones were assigned through contacts the same way custom ringtones were assigned. To the individual, not the text thread. 

The closest fix is Textra. Textra maintains the customization even after deleting the thread, but still doesn't cover the group messages. 

I've been through this explaination so many times. Another feature removed for some mysterious reason with no explanation. 

Astronaut

Stop whining. My phone wont ring. Vibrate, or even give me a number to let me know I have a text, grrr!!

Highlighted

Go into the contacts app click on who you want to add a ringtone to. It will show edit on the bottom center, hit that and you will see view more at the bottom, click that and scroll down and you will see ringtone at the bottom for adding a ringtone for that contact.