cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usergOcot0HvjW
Asteroid

Super Angry!

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I am very upset with the latest "upgrade" on my Galaxy Note 9 and agree with other users. I literally JUST bought my Note 9 and gave my husband my "fancy" iPhone 6s Plus because I liked the unique features of the Samsung software. The way messages were handled, how to interact with different windows, mostly the voice unlock with "Hey Google" which won't work anymore! These changes and they are countless, make the phone behave like an iPhone now. If I wanted an iPhone, I would have bought an iPhone. I'm going to try to revert the install now, but am worried that being out of date will cause security vulnerabilities. I guess I don't have a question, but I am very angry about this. I suggest that Samsung give us an option now to keep the "classic" android behavior before destroying our phones!!!!!!
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Super Angry!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just looked at my phone and said "Ok Google" while it was locked.  The response came back:

To let OK Google unlock your device, tap Device settings below.

Then turn on unlock with Voice Match

For Step-by-Step instructions, tap More Info.

And underneath that, there is a button that says Device Settings.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Alodar101
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not really sure this is a Samsung thing.  Looking at other Android support forums, the loss of unlock with Voice seems to be a Google Thing .  Assistant functionality is mostly attributed to the owners of that service.  Siri, Bixby, Google and Cortana, all have great points...and bad.  I asked Sir the other day...Hey Siri, where's my phone.  It replied....Right here...with a ping.  Tried the same thing with Google...and got nothing.  

I'm not saying you should not complain or anything like that.  But the request for a 'Classic Android' experience, AND a secure enviornment, will most likely conflict.  You're not going ot be able to pick and choose your 'Classic' experience.  Voice unlock, no matter how you feel about it, is not secure.  No more or less than Picture Unlock in Windows 10.   

i personally understand your irritation, and I'm glad you didn't rant.  Sometimes you just miss some of the cool things we used to have...but don't any longer...NO MATTER WAT the reason...we still miss them.

PS

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'd check some settings.  "Ok Google"  and "Hey Google" works perfectly on mine.  Have you logged into your Google account?

Settings>Google>Google Account

usergOcot0HvjW
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi.  So they work, but now I have to unlock the phone.  Annoying when driving.  I got a notification that actually stated that "Ok Google" would no longer do the unlock.  Maybe there's still a way?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just looked at my phone and said "Ok Google" while it was locked.  The response came back:

To let OK Google unlock your device, tap Device settings below.

Then turn on unlock with Voice Match

For Step-by-Step instructions, tap More Info.

And underneath that, there is a button that says Device Settings.  

View solution in original post

usergOcot0HvjW
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks so much!  That's very helpful.  I'll check out the other settings. 

Signed,

Feeling a Little Bit Better About It.  lol

usergOcot0HvjW
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks, all.  I will check those settings. 

The Google voice thing is just one of many.  Messages that arrived used to flash on the screen.  Now you have to pick up the phone and swipe tiny icons to see them.

There are more steps to make calls and send messages and do just about everything else.

Very sad.  Smiley Sad

TheRabbi
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The voice unlock thing is a Google thing; they killed it. Samsung, OTOH, still lets you do it with Bixby. As for some of your other issues, be sure to revisit app settings and see if everything is still set as you'd expect. You might want to check out some YouTubers like JimmyIsPromo and Sakitek; they have several how-to and tip videos for the new UI.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@TheRabbi wrote:

The voice unlock thing is a Google thing; they killed it. Samsung, OTOH, still lets you do it with Bixby. As for some of your other issues, be sure to revisit app settings and see if everything is still set as you'd expect. You might want to check out some YouTubers like JimmyIsPromo and Sakitek; they have several how-to and tip videos for the new UI.

you are probably correct.  I just tried setting up voice unlock and it didn't seem to want to work through google.  I've never had to use it since when I'm in my truck, it opens up since my truck system is listed as a trusted location.