cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message problem

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok. I got a problem I haven't been able to figure out. Text messages. In the past few weeks, my messages both incoming and outgoing (mostly incoming) aren't making it. And now today, my wife called and the phone never rang. She said it rang, then went to voice mail. Nothing came through on my phone. No indication. The text messages simply never come through. I've sent messages that the other party never received and I've had people call me asking if I got my message, which I hadn't. 

The stuff I've tried include deleting all my old messages (which btw, deleted up all my custom text tones), deleting the cache partition, something I do normally at least once a week, multiple reboots every few days plus an automatic reboot on Sunday mornings, numerous optimizations during the day and at least one every night. 

I'm running a Note 9, N960U, with CSF1.  Carrier is AT&T. Phone is set to delete any message greater than 90 days old.  So, has anyone got an idea what can be done to make the phone a bit more... Reliable?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Text message problem

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Big-Bad-Brad well it happened to me in the past i thought my message center number is alright because i dont really touch that but when i called CS told me to check Message center number and yup sure enough the number messed up it must be some apps or some settings i messed up. I could only receive txt but not send. 

Some people they turn off mobile data to save their data allotment but also keep in mind you might lose the capability to send MMS or SMS longer than 120 characters depends on carrier and some advance messaging features requires data so if turn off you will lose those features as well. 

═════════════════════════════════════
If you post new question please specify your Phone model and Carrier.
If you like my comment please hit ♥
if I answer your question please hit the 'accept as solution' button
9 REPLIES 9
Samsung_QSQLrqw
Astronaut

I have a similar issue with the text coming in from certa...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a similar issue with the text coming in from certain phones. I turned off my advanced Messaging and I now get text from those people. Hope this help.

Re: I have a similar issue with the text coming in from certa...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Right now, I'll try anything. I'll give it a shot. Thank you

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Big-Bad-Brad Did you check Message center number on Stock Messaging app which is samsung messages if there's something missing there? did you check APN. I got both S10+ and S9+ on AT&T and dont have this expereinced at all. Maybe some settings got mess up.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@RedDragon wrote:

@Big-Bad-Brad Did you check Message center number on Stock Messaging app which is samsung messages if there's something missing there? did you check APN. I got both S10+ and S9+ on AT&T and dont have this expereinced at all. Maybe some settings got mess up.

I've checked and tried about everything. I'm trying the suggestion about the advanced messaging now. I don't think there is/was a problem with the message center number since it seems to work great for me a while, then drops out. Mostly seems to be with my more common contacts. Sometimes, they just don't go through and sometimes my messages to them don't make it. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Big-Bad-Brad well it happened to me in the past i thought my message center number is alright because i dont really touch that but when i called CS told me to check Message center number and yup sure enough the number messed up it must be some apps or some settings i messed up. I could only receive txt but not send. 

Some people they turn off mobile data to save their data allotment but also keep in mind you might lose the capability to send MMS or SMS longer than 120 characters depends on carrier and some advance messaging features requires data so if turn off you will lose those features as well. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@RedDragon wrote:

Ok. I've changed the message center number and tested it a bit. Seems to be working, but like I said it's a random deal. I'll test it more at work to see if that fixes it. I hadn't thought that it would be that, but everything says that the new number is the correct one. Time will tell. Thanks for the help. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Big-Bad-Brad if the message center number doesnt start with a "+" sign or the number is different than AT&T then that might be the one. But if everything else still doesnt work i highly suggest to visit one of their corporate store to diagnose your device in person.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, the number that I found on the ATT web site was a totally different number than what was on my phone, and it had the + sign also.  So I changed the message center number to the new one, rebooted everything (Again) and experimented with it.  Sent a LONG text to a buddy who has been one of the ones that his texts rarely come through and mine rarely make it through to him and they all came through perfectly.  So Far.  Gonna experiment with it some more and see what they do, but it is looking very promising.  The number that was listed in my phone was an AT&T message center number according to Google, but it might be an older number.  It was only listed on a couple of pages.  

Heres hoping though.. Again, thank you. 

Samsung_dGoKM5E
Astronaut

Lol