Can you post a picture of the new update? I have not received it

userQOnV6EoJeM
Asteroid

Re: This Update is Really Bad..

I'll post a picture here if I can figure out how to do it

userzz4Aubm7Vy
Asteroid

Yeah, alot of things didnt need changed though. The way alot of app icons look, look like old galaxy phones. It's like everything is been set backwards and not forward. I just want it to be known this update feels like a giant step backwards. There are a few feature added that are great like the new night mode is nice, but the navigation bar is terrible. That's really my main issue before you could hide it and swipe it up to use it when you needed now the only choice is to hide it completely and swipe up on where the buttons should be, or have it there constantly. Both are bad. It really needs changed back. I like some of the functions they've added like the night mode, but everything looks like cheap older phones. The layout needs fixed and so does the navigation bar situation 

userwLOWuxpC5s
Asteroid

I would like to sign you petition, but I can't find it on the change.org website. What do I need to enter in the search to find it?

chrism8922
Asteroid

This update is so bad I pulled out my receipt to return my beloved Note 9 to Best Buy. I'm 5 days past my window, so I'm out of luck.

Everything about it is cheap looking (especially the bright blue notification shade accents and huge scaling on apps like the Clock);

The focus on the bottom half of the screen wastes the displays real estate - no one actually holds the Note 9 from the very bottom, and with the bottom corner in my palm, my thumb covers all the important interfaces now;

The nav bar options are both inconvenient and far inferior to the old ones.

All around a poor design, and I wish I had my $1000 back.

userIQqqO4qtoL
Asteroid

Agreed. The UI was not well thought out at all, especially the font contrasts. When is white font on white or light background a good idea for usability? Switching themes fixes some issues, but breaks others. Battery drains really fast. Samsung betta get to work, this stinks!

Not arguing... There's a lot of stuff about this update that I'm not liking. Cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me as much as it does others.  The click being moved from the right to the left, no biggie. The color of the fonts doesn't bother me that much. I run dark mode all the time and the fonts look pretty good. I use the default photo viewer and have no one complaints on it .

My complaints are it's operation. It's features, or rather the features that were removed or just plain broken . The compass that reads 90 degrees off, that according to Samsung is an upgrade. Or the text notification tones under nougat could be assigned to the person and not the conversation thread. Or the camera that USE to have pro settings on video which were removed under One UI.  Or the other many things that are still being discovered.

Things that the consumer (Us) purchased these phone because the features were expected because they existed previously and we expected them to be continued with newer versions.  So I have one question......

Why?

Highlighted
Comet

Oh boy, you guys need to learn the one best thing about Android. And that's the power of customization. While it won't help with some real issues like pro video mode or some other legitimate issues, most complaints are about usability, UI and visuals, and all of that can be fixed quite easily. Get a nice launcher, like Nova Prime, set up your phone any way you want, use your own gestures, icons, menus and so on. You can change the look of settings via themes. Fonts can be changed. Get rig of Bixby by using a package disabler and the BX Actions app, remap that button so something more useful. Learn to take advantage of Androidn't best abilities and you will never have to worry about what Samsung or anyone else is trying to push on you. 

For me, very little changed with UI once updated. Only the notifications and quick shortcuts, settings, and a navigation bar, out of which only the navigation bar drastically changed, so I tried gestures, got used to them in less than a day and now love them. For some reason Samsung Pay keeps forcing the regular navigation bar onto the screen, with everything else I'm enjoying the clean edge to edge look and feel.

Oh, I totally agree to a certain extent.  I have Nova Prime and I loved it.  But they have something going on with TeslaUnread and they have a problem with the notification badges showing up on certain apps.  Once they get that fixed, I'm back with them.  Until then, I'm using the stock One UI desktop. 

My problem isn't one of appearance, but of functionality.  The Compass for example reads 90 Degrees off, no matter which app I'm using.  I've gone to the Samsung Sensor screen and tested the compass and the error still exists on the sensor test.  My GPS apps all show the same error.  I've downloaded multiple compass programs and they all show the same deviation.  Many people have reported that they have the same diversion on Note 9's with the same Baseband Build and the same Model numbers as mine across multiple apps. Until the compass problem is fixed, I’m sort of hesitant about using my beautiful, powerful Note 9 as the controller for my $1000 drone since my powerful Note 9 right now has no idea which way is North. 

Previous to One UI, there was a feature on the video camera in which you could set to different shutter speeds and ISO ratings.  This no longer exist.  It DOES exist for still photos, but no longer exists for Video.

From Lollipop up to Nougat, Individual text message tones were assigned to the Contact list, which then resulted in ANY text from this contact resulted in the personalized tone.  No matter if they were in a Team/Group text situation, or a one-on-one conversation.  I could delete the conversation afterwards and the customization remained.  Now, starting with Oreo and CONTINUED with Pie, the tones are assigned to the CONVERSATION.  Which means that you no longer have the capability to assign a tone to the PERSON, only the CONVERSATION.  So in a Group text, EVERYONE has the same notification tone.  And you MUST NEVER delete that conversation because if you do, then there goes ALL customization.  In my situation, this results in massive confusion.  Do I need to check my text now?  Or can it wait a bit?  Is it my Pharmacy’s computer letting me know that my prescriptions need to be refilled or is it my Alarm Company telling me that my Burglar alarm is going off?  I’m one of those that doesn’t like keeping Gigabytes worth of useless data in the form of old Text Messages.  Some, I keep.  Others, I delete. 

Appearances are nothing.  I don't really care what color the icons are.  I don't care if the clock is on the left side of the notification bar or the right side.  I do like the built in Night mode since I can't use Nova Prime until they fix their bug with the notification badges.  (Which is probably due to something with One UI again)

No, I will not go back to Apple.  Been there, done that.  Never again. 

PS... sorry about getting on my soap box.  I totally expected better with my Note 9 and One UI.  

user8qdzGmEDdX
Cosmic Ray

@Geno71 wrote:

Oh boy, you guys need to learn the one best thing about Android. And that's the power of customization. While it won't help with some real issues like pro video mode or some other legitimate issues, most complaints are about usability, UI and visuals, and all of that can be fixed quite easily. Get a nice launcher, like Nova Prime, set up your phone any way you want, use your own gestures, icons, menus and so on. You can change the look of settings via themes. Fonts can be changed. Get rig of Bixby by using a package disabler and the BX Actions app, remap that button so something more useful. Learn to take advantage of Androidn't best abilities and you will never have to worry about what Samsung or anyone else is trying to push on you. 

For me, very little changed with UI once updated. Only the notifications and quick shortcuts, settings, and a navigation bar, out of which only the navigation bar drastically changed, so I tried gestures, got used to them in less than a day and now love them. For some reason Samsung Pay keeps forcing the regular navigation bar onto the screen, with everything else I'm enjoying the clean edge to edge look and feel.

No the broke or took away being able to make floating window by draghin from egde of screen and on and on