cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

UI and OS download via Unlimited LTE plan because no Wifi available. .

How can I upgrade my Galaxy Note9 UI and OS software using my Unlimited LTE data plan? I have been looking for workarounds for the Wi-Fi requirement since I bought this phone, or a reason why the download would be required to be done on a Wi-Fi connection, but have found none.

I live in a rural area and do not have private or secure Wi-Fi available to me.  Even if I did, it would be so very much slower than my LTE service, ( something like 2mbps vs. 150+mbps).  I pay for a fast and unlimited LTE data plan just so that I can avoid having to pay for slow home internet and Wifi. Why in the time of very fast 4G LTE and super fast 5G does Samsung force customers like me to travel to some public place like McDonald's to access an unsecured public Wi-Fi to download device critical data? What is the issue here? Why are they doing this to us?

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: UI and OS download via Unlimited LTE plan because no Wifi available. .

When you click download on the update, does it not give you the option to continue downloading with mobile data? My phone gives me either option.

Highlighted

No, every time I get a Samsung software update I am forced to do it on a Wi-Fi network. This is so irritating. It acts like the network is down and "Couldn't download update" but the network is just fine.When I try to download it this pops up every time.When I try to download it this pops up every time.

My LTE connection speed is my basement just now.My LTE connection speed is my basement just now.

So I still am forced to go out to a  unsecured public Wi-Fi.  How backwards can they get?

Highlighted
Constellation

Because normally downloading via cellular is more expensive than your home wifi and I think they don't want people paying extra for the update cuz I'm sure it's a massive update

Highlighted

Well Obviously they are wrong! Somebody needs to tell them to give people the option. Let the user know that Yes this is a lot of data, are you sure you want to continue? 'click here to continue'. How hard is that?

I have unlimited data, probably millions of other people besides me do also. I download all kinds of large files and sometimes am asked to continue, but atleast I am asked. Now people have 5G unlimited plans, I bet they will not be to impressed by having to connect to Wi-Fi to update their phones.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Have you tried tethering from another device acting as a hotspot?

Highlighted

Yes, that works, i know  it works, but hotspot data is not unlimited. So that means I have to call a friend and ask them to come over so I can use their hotspot data up to update my phone, and then they get stuck with a bill, or a message, that all of their hotspot data has been used up. Who wants to do that when you have a perfectly good LTE data service with an unlimited data plan? I bet know one. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Samsung is the best

Samsung is the best

I figured it out but I cant post on here now

Highlighted

Settings

Biometrics and security

Other security settings

Security updates policy

Download updates via

Select wifi or mobile networks