Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Computer Chris
Asteroid

USB C Thunderbolt Drive writing files

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been pushing the limits on my Note9 - I have a 1TB Thunderbolt drive connected to the phone's USB C port and I am able to read the files on the drive using ES File Explorer, BUT, I can't write or copy files to the Thunderbolt drive. Has anyone been able to resolve this - it would definitely put the Note9 WAY ahead of the pack as to being more like a REAL FULL computer. 

I love my DeX Station pad with the USB C Female to USB C Male cable that allows me to connect the phone without removing my Otterbox. Plus it also allows me 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Computer Chris
Asteroid

Re: USB C Thunderbolt Drive writing files

JUMP TO SOLUTION

UPDATE - reset the M.2 NVMe to exFat and used Windows to quick format as opposed to Diskpart (phone didn't like it's version) and I am able to plug USB C Thunderbolt drive directly to phone and NOW able to write and read files at an unbelievable speed.  (Note 9 will read NTFS just can't write to NTFS partition) Thank you Samsung for an unbelievable product. (S3, S4, S4A (great under waterfalls), Note 4, S7 Edge, Note 9, Tablet Note 10.1 (2014) x2 - Gingerbread to Pie

Side note I think my DeX station USB ports maybe DOA. They won't pickup a wired mouse... whole other issue.

Thanks for your assist on this @RedDragon .

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Computer Chris Note 9 has a built in Dex already you just need HDMI cable. Try to use a cable from the USB port on the device and the HDD and see if you can transfer files there directly not using Dex.

Computer Chris
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried connecting the Thunderbolt drive to DeX Station and it would not even pick it up. As stated before, I am able to plug the Thunderbolt drive directly into the phone using the USB C cable, and, I am able to read the files and copy them to the phone. I just cannot copy files from the phone to the Thunderbolt drive. ES File Explorer picks up the drive as a USB attached storage. The Samsung "My Files " app does not see the drive nor does the Settings storage app for managing storage on the phone.

I will try this same scenario with the USB C to USB A adapter with a microSD card and let you know the results. 

I really love my DeX Station with the extension cable setup. It was getting very annoying having to remove my Otterbox every time I connected the phone.

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Computer Chris I like dex too and i think it is great idea but you do not need dex station on Note 9 because it has built in dex already just like S10 so try to use an adapter for usb-c to hdmi and has USB 3.0 port or a usb-c thunderbolt port. I dont think the dex station has USB 3.0 ports if I am not mistaken.

Also samsung is still using android OS so watchout for external drive  format that an android can support I think it will support exFAT and most drives are NTFS so I dont think it will support NTFS

Computer Chris
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

UPDATE - reset the M.2 NVMe to exFat and used Windows to quick format as opposed to Diskpart (phone didn't like it's version) and I am able to plug USB C Thunderbolt drive directly to phone and NOW able to write and read files at an unbelievable speed.  (Note 9 will read NTFS just can't write to NTFS partition) Thank you Samsung for an unbelievable product. (S3, S4, S4A (great under waterfalls), Note 4, S7 Edge, Note 9, Tablet Note 10.1 (2014) x2 - Gingerbread to Pie

Side note I think my DeX station USB ports maybe DOA. They won't pickup a wired mouse... whole other issue.

Thanks for your assist on this @RedDragon .

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Computer Chris glad i helped and exFAT is a new format and is intended for storage and i think NTFS is mostly intended for OS storage format... Note 9 and S10 series do not need dex station to have Dexpad it has built-in Dex inside the phone you can use third party USB-C to HDMI just like your laptop to TV like most macbook now-a-days and use the USB dongle that comes with it and you should be able to use USB 3.0,,.. Galaxy  note 9 supports USB 3.1 speed i have tried it but you need USB 3.0 Cable also not the regular cable.

If wired mouse did not pick-up on your dex station maybe it requires power supply to power up the mouse this is most common issue if mouse not powering on. your dex needs to be plug-in or the USB needs to have power source somewhere. I still have my Dex Station for free from ordering the S9+ before and I still never used it.

usercB33dRyzGl
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung file explorer program doesn't support writing to NTFS formatted drives. Only to exfat. However you can download a third party app like EX file explorer from the play store to be able to read and write off NTFS drives. Or format your drive to exFAT

useruVYnl3EnkO
Constellation

M M My name is Joshua Breaux I have a question anybody kn...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My name is Joshua Breaux I have a question anybody know what would make a Samsung Port not hold a charge good

Computer Chris
Asteroid

Re: M M My name is Joshua Breaux I have a question anybody kn...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Typically I have found that the cable end piece is at fault most times and the solution is to simply by a new cable to resolve the issue. Make sure when in use there isn't any side load where the connection of the cable connects.