cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pour_N_New
Constellation

Unable to change the background of the messages app or keyboard

I want the Samsung Developers to know that removing the Feature that Allowed Users to Customize the Messages App and the Keyboard was Very Stupid, Disheartening and Frustrating! I have been a Samsung User since the s2, and This is by Far the WORST UPDATE EVER!

I have Always said that I would Never buy an iPhone, but This New UI Pie Update is causing me to Consider getting an iPhone, seriously! What is the point of paying $1,000 for a device that the manufacturer decides to Take Away Key and User Friendly options?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
userozRcNeoxhS
Asteroid

Re: FOLLOWING UI PIE UPDATE, NO LONGER ABLE TO CHANGE THE BACKGROUND OF THE MESSAGES APP OR KEYBOARD

I'm on pie and I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. But you can always download another keyboard and messenger app. Also the wing with substratum is possible. Swiftkey is a great keyboard, as well as Google keyboard. I'm sure there's good messenger apps too.

userKFQ67AJ9sC
Constellation

Re: FOLLOWING UI PIE UPDATE, NO LONGER ABLE TO CHANGE THE BACKGROUND OF THE MESSAGES APP OR KEYBOARD

I totally agree. The more I dig the more I find options that I used are missing or have taken away. Like: Extra volume button for calls, Edge lighting in Samsung music, Background (pic) option in Messages..

With Samsung and these "Updates", it's like one hand has no clue what the other is doing. I will say, there are some good additions, yet they are also dumbing this down to an old iPhone OS = Less options & setting changes.

userZsGrUQ7Ggc
Asteroid

I have to agree. I loved that I didnt have to download a whole theme in order to customize my message background and my keyboard. I don't want to download another app to be able to do what I was already was able to do. Please put back these features and all others that you took out. 

Try a Theme.  Just make sure that it is designed for One UI and not Oreo.  If you are upset about the blinding white background, turn the system to Dark Mode.  

Settings>Display>Dark Mode.  

Much easier on the eyes.  

As long as I got night mode, I'm sorta happy.  I want the custom text message tones for individuals again.  Not this "Tag the conversation thread and have to keep a copy of it forever" stopgap.  I need the one back that will work in a group/team conversation.  

EricL-NewJersey
Cosmic Ray

Re: Unable to change the background of the messages app or keyboard

My phone just updated.. No background or bubble options.. Smiley Sad

I would have bought an apple if i knew that my phone was starting to look likes an iphone!!!

@EricL-NewJersey wrote:

My phone just updated.. No background or bubble options.. Smiley Sad

I would have bought an apple if i knew that my phone was starting to look likes an iphone!!!

I'd rather of gone with two tin cans and a length of string before I'd go back to an Apple.  

EricL-NewJersey
Cosmic Ray

Hello.. I just change to Message+ from Verizon.  I finally have an sms app that can be customized anyway you want and had more features.

My Verizon store had a lot of complaints about the messages app changed in the update so they been converting Samsung users to Message+ and they are like me happer now. Its also free with no ads