cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spizro
Cosmic Ray

Wifi authentication error after September 2019 update

I keep getting a "wifi authentication error" after September security update(since then there has been an October update too which did not fix it). It happens when I try to connect to my work wifi(one network with hidden ssid and password, one with visible ssid an no password) both cause the problem. Unfortunately I do not have access to the router to try power cycling it. I have successfully connected to both networks on my note 5, iPad, and iphone with same info (ssid and password) so I know that hasn't changed.

So far I have tried safe mode, I cleared my cache through recovery mode, wiped my network settings, turned off Verizon's protection app, tried with Bluetooth off, cycled wifi on and off, in airplane mode, force closing the knox app(read online that this could help), removed any app that can control wifi, tried updating any app that had updates in play store and Samsung store, turned off developer options, turned off auto connect, tried all the settings on and off in wifi advanced settings, I've even tried a static ip and even cloning my WiFi Mac address from a device that has been able to connect(to verify my MAC address hasn't been blacklisted). Between every test I power cycle the phone and remove/readd the network.

I've allowed my wifi to stay on all day(for multiple, multiple days) to try and connect whenever, but nothing. It just eats battery.

I'm losing my mind trying to fix it. Like I said never had a problem until the end of September update. I have tried to replicate it at home by hiding my 2ghz band(on 3 access point linksys velop) but I cannot replicate the authentication error on my home network. However I've noticed a more unstable wifi connection at home. Like I said I have a triband 3 access point network at home so I know I have signal, plus my download/upload speeds are 300mb/40mb(not crazy fast but more than enough). Ive been seeing "no internet connection" fairly often. Again my iPad, Nintendo switch, Xbox 1 and about a dozen other devices don't seem to have the same problem, but this is fixed by cycling wifi on and off.

Can someone please get us a fix or work around? I've seen someone else post about the same problem on a Verizon note10. My girlfriend had the problem for maybe 2 days before it resolved itself(note9 on sprint).

Please respond if you have this problem(so Samsung will fix it) or have ideas for a fix!

6 REPLIES 6
useryTMOzZvOcz
Constellation

Re: Wifi authentication error after September 2019 update

Having the same issue too, but its for all WiFi networks. I didn't have this problem until about a day or two after I updated it recently, and it fixed itself at first but now it won't. I've tried everything you've done as well, basically. 

I did find out it was the update and not something else, like a third party app,considering I still had the same issue when I boot my phone into safe mode. 

I hope it's fixed in the next update and I won't have to factory reset my phone.

Spizro
Cosmic Ray

I've been dealing with this since the end of September with the end of September update. Got an update halfway through October but still have the problem. Besides my home network I can't connect to anything. This is how Samsung pushes you to buy a new phone... I guarantee if a flagship phone had this problem it would be fixed in less than a week. Have you tried connecting without Bluetooth on and wiping network settings and your cache?

userSHsg7QLzTP
Constellation

Same "Authentication  issue" error here on a Note 8 and Galaxy 8. This only occurs on my home network and only on my Samsung devices. Apple and Pixel devices stay connected without issues.

I have gone through the steps of shutting down and restarting the entire network (modem, router, switches and waps).  As well as doing the same with the phones and other Wi-Fi devices. No fix.

All firmware is up to date on all hardware.

Samsung_pZ5ihOX
Astronaut

I thought it was only me I'm having the same problem

Highlighted
Spizro
Cosmic Ray

I just tried today and it fixed itself. No new updates or anything. Just started working?

user6EqnuwkOeP
Constellation

I'm getting the same authentication error on my S10e. My data usage is now sky high because of it. Any fix or work around? I've already tried looking in Advanced under the connections area - nothing out of order there. I have a pending update that can't come through because I have to be hooked to wifi.  Is there a roll back or some way to set back to before the last update?