cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userflL7UXuBUz
Asteroid

copying attachment to SD card failed error

I have a Note 9 that was upgraded to android 9 a few days ago. Ever since, I get the error "copying attachment to SD card failed" when trying to save an MMS picture using the default "Messages" app.

The problem is I never had an SD card in the phone so why is it trying to save the picture there instead of the built-in storage? I see no place to specify a default location.

I inserted an SD card I had laying around, backed up files to it using the backup on the phone to make sure it worked, tried saving the MMS picture again and I got the same error.

I have confirmed the Messages app has permissions to save files to storage. 

This always worked until the phone upgraded to Android 9.

Bug in the app maybe? Suggestions? 

15 REPLIES 15
userNjQVCs834g
Astronaut

Re: copying attachment to SD card failed error

My wife and I also have this problem on my S9+ after the upgrade yesterday.  The weird thing is that it is only with photos sent between us BEFORE the upgrade.  ahy photos after that are ok.  Also, it doesn't happen with any photos from anyone else.

userflL7UXuBUz
Asteroid

This seems to be the same. I asked my wife to txt a picture and I was able to save it no problems. I tried saving older pictures sent from other prople and they also failed.

It only seems to work for pictures sent post upgrade and fails for any picture sent pre upgrade. 

I am using the stock Samsung Messeages app. 

Can someone from Samsung look into this? 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Mind providing the model code, baseband version and your carrier?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userflL7UXuBUz
Asteroid

Model number: SM-N960U

Baseband version: N960USQU1CSAA

Carrier: AT&T

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you tried the SD card in another device to see if you are experiencing the same symptoms? Have you tried a different SD card?

userflL7UXuBUz
Asteroid

It's not the SD card. I got the error before I ever had an SD card in the phone. I only added an SD card afterwards to see if that would help but it doesn't. I get the error regardless. And yes, the SD card is fine. I can save files to it no problem and it works in other devices. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Are you able to forward the picture to yourself in a text message or e-mail and save the pictures as a temporary workaround? We will also escalate this to our specialty team for further research.

userflL7UXuBUz
Asteroid

No. It seems that any photo sent prior to the Android 9 upgrade fails. When I try to forward or share using email, the resulting message is blank. . No photo is attached. Saving results in that error. 

If I go back further in the timeline, some of the photos are just gray boxes. Even photos I sent prior to the upgrade can't be saved or shared. Looks like the upgrade corrupted them although some are visible (not gray boxes) 

Photos sent/received after the upgrade seem to be okay. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

@userflL7UXuBUz wrote:

I have a Note 9 that was upgraded to android 9 a few days ago. Ever since, I get the error "copying attachment to SD card failed" when trying to save an MMS picture using the default "Messages" app.

The problem is I never had an SD card in the phone so why is it trying to save the picture there instead of the built-in storage? I see no place to specify a default location.

I inserted an SD card I had laying around, backed up files to it using the backup on the phone to make sure it worked, tried saving the MMS picture again and I got the same error.

I have confirmed the Messages app has permissions to save files to storage. 

This always worked until the phone upgraded to Android 9.

Bug in the app maybe? Suggestions? 

Okay I tried to copy your issues but I was able to do it fine without issues I was able to save the MMS picture to my internal storage and then I manually move the picture to SD card without issues. Did you check if your SD card is corrupted?  and I was using Android messages app not the stock samsung app. I also updated to pie on S9+.