cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userS4bclRgCBd
Asteroid

APPLE PHONE TRADE-IN HIGHER THAN SAMSUNG BRAND????!!!!

So, I am on now my 3rd Samsung Note. I started with the Note 3. Went through two Note 7 recalls and finally ended with the Note 8 almost exactly two years ago. With the Note 10 coming out, I am getting the itch to upgrade. However, when I go to assess my trade-in value for the Note 8 I find that it is only worth $300 and an Apple X is worth $600 (which was released a little over 2 months later than the Note 8)? In my opinion, that is an outrage. Especially for loyal Samsung customers who stuck through the Note 7 debacle.  Should I finally just  defect to the other side and go with the obviously more valuable Apple line? You tell me. 

5 REPLIES 5
Natedawgg1981
Constellation

Although I am not an apple fan, one cannot deny that appl...

Although I am not an apple fan, one cannot deny that apple has a loyalty that has spun since the beginning of it's existence in time. I guess it really comes down to what features you want and need. And further how do you feel about learning how to use and navigate through a new OS ecosystem. One of my bigger draws to Samsung is their Samsung Pay app that can use Mag swipe, Chip, and wireless pay options making it backwards compatible in a way no other mobile pay app can at this time. The deletion of the 3.5 mm headphone Jack in the Note 10 is a big bummer and an obvious no no in my book, but like Apple; Samsung took a que to be different. I'm sure.most people won't mind since bluetooth headphones are more prevelent these days. But it still leaves a gap for other devices that use the physical Jack. But then again you could choose to pay more for an adapter if you need it. I personally have also been questioning my loyalty to Samsung, and I have looked at other devices. I'm finding that other manufacturers are offering similar specs to Samsungs lineup and for less money with the convenience of not having to switch mobile platforms. However for you it seems that those things don't matter as much and you are looking for the best resale price on the device. May I assume you purchase outright. Most people don't, and will trade in those devices at the end of term for a new device and resale isn't an option. You may then find it better to buy that iPhone if solely for its resale value. In the end if you buy outright and resell, did you pay more for that iPhone then you could've with an android? Was it worth it for the resale value? Questions only you can answer.

userS4bclRgCBd
Asteroid

Re: Although I am not an apple fan, one cannot deny that appl...

Hi Natedawgg1981, 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are right, I do buy my phones outright and don't mind forking over a grand or more for a device that will be joined at my hip for two years or more. However, the new Note 10+ is $1300. Do you really believe a new Apple phone launch will surpass that price point? I don't believe that at all. I have been an Android customer since the OS was first introduced and have never strayed. For some reason the idea that Samsung would de-value their product on a trade-in against an Apple product feels like a slap in the face to me. And do you really think all of the trade-in devices are allocated to be sold through a second-hand market? If so, I don't think there would be double the price difference between a Samsung and Apple phone in that type of market, do you? My point is that Samsung should be loyal to their repeat customers (which offering a trade-in directly from their website would attract; which it did for me almost 2 years ago) and not try and offer additional incentive to a non-customer which in my example is an IPhone customer. Double the incentive at that. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Although I am not an apple fan, one cannot deny that appl...

Unfortunately it's a very well-known fact that iPhones hold their value better than any Android phone. Ever. Plus iPhone users are very hard to convince to try a Samsung phone, so Samsung likely offers an additional incentive to try to attract as many of them as possible.

"If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. Thanks"
userS4bclRgCBd
Asteroid

Re: APPLE PHONE TRADE-IN HIGHER THAN SAMSUNG BRAND????!!!!

Will definitely NOT be purchasing the Note 10 with the PUNEY trade-in offer from Samsung this time! May have to consider another Android in the future. I buy my phones outright and do not deal with the "installment" plans. Samsung prices are becoming outrageous! Unless you are an Apple customer it looks like. 

userkR9yaiLYzO
Asteroid

Re: APPLE PHONE TRADE-IN HIGHER THAN SAMSUNG BRAND????!!!!

I read somewhere that android is free software so android phones depreciate in value compared to apple phones that pay for iOS and the hardware. Kinda makes sense.