cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeoBlack39
Asteroid

Blinking light next to front facing camera

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am wondering if anyone is noticing a blinking light dot on their screen.  Everytime I wake my screen on my Note 10 plus, a light flash dot appears.  Is that normal?  It flashes for a moment then goes away but appears everytime I wake up my phone.  Wondering if I should return it for a new one. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Blinking light next to front facing camera

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @NeoBlack39 

Yes, perfectly normal. It's a proximity sensor hidden under the glass. There is a very easy way to make it appear: just make a call and watch the area, it will start flashing. This is how your phone knows if it's next to your face, or if it wakes up in a pocked, for example.

Geno

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @NeoBlack39 

Yes, perfectly normal. It's a proximity sensor hidden under the glass. There is a very easy way to make it appear: just make a call and watch the area, it will start flashing. This is how your phone knows if it's next to your face, or if it wakes up in a pocked, for example.

Geno

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

View solution in original post

NeoBlack39
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

oh okay, I made a call and it did flash when I did.  Thanks for your response. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You're welcome. The S10 series phones had the same sensor in the glass. Pretty cool IMO.

Vyneta
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

I understand that the blinking dot is proximity sensor. However, on my friend's Note 10, it keep blinking even when he doesn't make any call. While on other Note 10 its not like that. When he turn off the AOD, the blinking is stop. Is there any configuration that cause this?

Thank you.

userDKCEs5G5pD
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am facing the same issue on my note 10 plus but never on the s10 plus.

Despite you are saying it's a sensor. This sensor has been there on many previous devices and was never blinking. Why now?

uservXQobULfYB
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

asked Samsung

this is what they say, somehow not satisfied with this answer

We are always looking to improve the services, this feature get enhances in the latest models.

userfZYQdEarPH
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having the same issue. It is certainly not normal. I get this annoying blinking at absolutely random times. Like during reading or watching something on the phone and this blinking and the proximity sensor is triggered and when anything gets near to it the display goes off which is not supposed to happen, the proximity sensor should be inactive when you're simply reading something. Also, that blinking is extremely ugly and it doesn't go away even when I switch between apps. It goes away after few seconds at times and after a few minutes at other times. 

I returned the phone and got a refund and purchased a second one and it has the exact same problem.  Nothing about this is normal. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userfZYQdEarPH Do you experience these symptoms if you test your device in safe mode? Are you experiencing these symptoms when you use specific apps?

userfZYQdEarPH
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungAdam as I mentioned, It happens at random times. For example, I'm browsing on chrome and it happens suddenly; I switch to another app or go to home screen and the blinking does not go away until it randomly decidesto stop, be it minutes or seconds. It happened in the old phone that I returned and now on the new one that I ordered. Imagine yourself reading or watching something and your hand or anything else gets near the sensor and it turns the display off; do you call that normal? I really don't think so.

I did not test it in safe mode because it happens randomly. I don't want to stay on safe mode for a long time waiting for it to randomly happen, that's impractical, I get days without this problem and sometimes several times in one day day. 

I wouldn't have purchased the second device, but I have invested a lot of money in accessories already so I ordered the new one hoping that it would be better, but it isn't at all.

Samsung's policy is ridiculous. They do not have replacement policy even if you receive your brand new phone faulty right  out of the box. Your only option is to return it or send it for repair, and both options are time consuming and you will have to wait for a couple of weeks without a phone. You pay $1200  and this is what you get. Complete disappointment.