cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usersoWS9gFHQg
Asteroid

Dex on Windows not Working

Hi,

I'm trying to launch Dex on Windows in a Note 10 plus. However I can't get it to work. 

Dex is installed but nothing happens when I connect my phone. 

Device is on transfer files mode for USB. 

However, in device manager on Windows the phone appears with an exclamation next to it. Have tried to update the driver, install the driver separately, cleared the registry etc... But still can't get it to work. 

I'm using a USB C to USB A cable. 

Any thoughts?

Can't find anything online. 

16 REPLIES 16
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Dex on Windows not Working

Are you using a Dex Cable or a Dex Station? What version of Windows are you using on your computer?

usersoWS9gFHQg
Asteroid

I am using windows 10 on a desktop.  7th Gen i5. Everythting is updated to the latest versions and a samsung USBC to A cable.

There seems to be some kind of conflict and the driver is either not getting installed or is somehow in conflict with something else.

Tried to download the drivers from the samsung website as well. Doesn't work.

Tried this on a friend's laptop, using the same cable and it worked first time round. That laptop is a 5 year old machine. My desktop is hardly 2 years old, so it can't be that either.

Some kind of conflict or corruption is taking place as the device is detected in device manager but has an asterisk next to it and behaves as though no driver is installed.

However, simply transfering files to and from the device works fine.

FYI, I had installed ADB drivers as well, to do some mods. However, dex works on the laptop fine, even after the mods, so its not the mods, the cable or the phone. I have tried uninstalling everything, including ADB drivers, samsung drivers and dex. But nothing seems to be working.

When installing the samsung driver from the website. It launches UAC and when you say yes, the pointer shows the system is busy for a few seconds and that's it. There's no dialog box or confirmation.

Everytime you pluge phone in, Dex prompts that the driver is not installed and proceeds to install the driver.

Would really like to use Dex on my own desktop as it will provide me with many benefits. In fact, one of the reasons I bought the device is to use dex on windows, after having used dex plenty before on older devices.

It's an issue on my particular windows desktop, which I likely feel is a driver problem or some kind of conflict.

The last resort is to do a fresh install of windows, but my desktop computer is my primary work computer and, I'd rather avoid doing a fresh install unless its absolutely necessary.

Is there some tool i can use to completely uninstall and remove any old drivers? Maybe that the problem? A conflict with an older driver.

Any thoughts will be really helpful.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@usersoWS9gFHQg wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to launch Dex on Windows in a Note 10 plus. However I can't get it to work. 

Dex is installed but nothing happens when I connect my phone. 

Device is on transfer files mode for USB. 

However, in device manager on Windows the phone appears with an exclamation next to it. Have tried to update the driver, install the driver separately, cleared the registry etc... But still can't get it to work. 

I'm using a USB C to USB A cable. 

Any thoughts?

Can't find anything online. 

Try getting Samsung USB drivers:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/note10-unlocked

Click on Manual and Downloads or scroll to Software

I tried it a week ago and it worked on my Win 10 PC.  I already has Samsung USB drivers installed, so didn't need to do anything else except download Dex app and plugging in the phone

usersoWS9gFHQg
Asteroid

Thank you for your reply, but i have tried that and it doesn't work. Tried it using the link you sent too and it didn't work.

Here's some more information.

I am using windows 10 on a desktop.  7th Gen i5. Everythting is updated to the latest versions and a samsung USBC to A cable.

There seems to be some kind of conflict and the driver is either not getting installed or is somehow in conflict with something else.

Tried this on a friend's laptop, using the same cable and it worked first time round. That laptop is a 5 year old machine. My desktop is hardly 2 years old, so it can't be that either.

Some kind of conflict or corruption is taking place as the device is detected in device manager but has an asterisk next to it and behaves as though no driver is installed.

FYI, I had installed ADB drivers as well, to do some mods. However, dex works on the laptop fine, even after the mods, so its not the mods, the cable or the phone. I have tried uninstalling everything, including ADB drivers, samsung drivers and dex. But nothing seems to be working.

When installing the samsung driver from the website. It launches UAC and when you say yes, the pointer shows the system is busy for a few seconds and that's it. There's no dialog box or confirmation.

Everytime you pluge phone in, Dex prompts that the driver is not installed and proceeds to install the driver.

Would really like to use Dex on my own desktop as it will provide me with many benefits. In fact, one of the reasons I bought the device is to use dex on windows, after having used dex plenty before on older devices.

It's an issue on my particular windows desktop, which I likely feel is a driver problem or some kind of conflict.

The last resort is to do a fresh install of windows, but my desktop computer is my primary work computer and, I'd rather avoid doing a fresh install unless its absolutely necessary.

Is there some tool i can use to completely uninstall and remove any old drivers? Maybe that the problem? A conflict with an older driver.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@usersoWS9gFHQg wrote:

Thank you for your reply, but i have tried that and it doesn't work. Tried it using the link you sent too and it didn't work.

Here's some more information.

Thanks.

Delete the driver that is marked by !, then see if your PC can re-detect it.

Go to add/remove programs and check the list of installed apps.  The drivers for Samsung should be shown there.  The drivers I provide the link for, find out where the installer unpacks the drivers and try to manually update.  For example when you go to device manager, then go to that "!" driver and update it by pointing for that samsung driver(if you could of course find where the driver intalled unpacked it.  

If you haven't enabled developer options on your phone, try that and then turn on USB debugging and connect your phone.  See if the driver correct driver will be picked by the device manager

usersoWS9gFHQg
Asteroid

Hi,

Have tried with developer options and USBDB enabled. Not working.

Samsung driver does not show up in the installed programs. In fact, I think something is actually preventing it from being installed.

Automatically updating the driver doesn't work.

Can't point to the driver because the downloaded driver is a .exe file.

Do you know where it would unpack the driver files to by any chance?

Something is preventing either the driver from being installed or from the driver files being accessed by the looks of it and I just can't figure out what it might be.

Thanks again for your response.

Honored Contributor

@usersoWS9gFHQg wrote:

Hi,

Have tried with developer options and USBDB enabled. Not working.

Samsung driver does not show up in the installed programs. In fact, I think something is actually preventing it from being installed.

Automatically updating the driver doesn't work.

Can't point to the driver because the downloaded driver is a .exe file.

Do you know where it would unpack the driver files to by any chance?

Something is preventing either the driver from being installed or from the driver files being accessed by the looks of it and I just can't figure out what it might be.

Thanks again for your response.

I don't know if you have marked to show hidden items on your drive...

Usual spot for installers to unpack is here: C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Temp

Open the above folder and watch closely. When you launch the samsung driver pack or maybe you need to click next.  The new folder will be created(name can be different), but don't close the installer.  Copy folder or files to another folder, than you can close the installer or continue installation. 

Oh and try another USB port, that is not USB 3.0, just in case.

usersoWS9gFHQg
Asteroid

I will try this as soon as I can... However, just FYI... the installer doesn't launch. After the UAC comes up and you click yes, the pointer looks like its busy launching something for a few seconds and then nothing happens. :-(

Honored Contributor

@usersoWS9gFHQg wrote:

I will try this as soon as I can... However, just FYI... the installer doesn't launch. After the UAC comes up and you click yes, the pointer looks like its busy launching something for a few seconds and then nothing happens. :-(

Do you have something installed, antivirus of some sort?

Try installing Samsung Smart Switch for PC, I think is also installs usb drivers.

Here are other drivers that are zip, not exe:

https://samsung-usb-driver-for-mobile-phones.en.lo4d.com/windows

https://clickitornot.com/samsung-usb-driver/