cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Google Assistant and Google Discovery Lost Dark Mode

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, my whole phone was running dark mode. As of yesterday, Google Assistant and Google Discovery both Lost dark mode and are now white. The option to select a theme in discovery is now also gone, and previously was there allowing me to choose it and then both apps were dark.

I have it set to dark mode, and also in developer mode, set force to dark.

What happened? Any suggestions on how to fix these two app settings?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Google Assistant and Google Discovery Lost Dark Mode

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for that information. I would recommend reaching out to Google directly for further assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

H user, i think soethig that might be usefull and help would be to reset ur sttings on the phone and it should help! to do this go to Settings > General Management > Resest > Reset Settings.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, @user8Q53TXDm6I  I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues  Setting up dark mode on your  apps,

Tips below may help you  force set up your apps on dark mode, Please follow the instructions below:

Step 1 Enable Developer options

• Touch.
  • Touch Settings.
  • Touch About phone.
  • Touch the Build number field 7 times. You will begin seeing a message as you approach the 7 touches.
  • Touch the back arrow once complete, and Developer options will now appear under Settings.
Step 2
Go to  Settings>Developer options>  Force Dark mode

Please let me know if you have any questions, Thank you!
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your suggestion, however I think I mentioned above I already had done that. 

Also I checked and still on. 

The phone is working except for those two apps, which were working until yesterday. 

Also, please note, the setting in discovery and assistant for theme is now gone. 

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user8Q53TXDm6I Thank you for your patience, At this point, I would suggest clearing all data on both apps.  and restart the device.

Go to Settings>Apps>Assistant>Storage>Clear data

Restart the device

Please let me know if this works for you, Thank you!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No worries thank you for trying to help. 

I did your suggestion for both. Rebooted and no change. 

Keep them coming! Ideas? 

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, @user8Q53TXDm6I  Thank you for the reply,   It looks like they removed the option to the change theme on google assistant.  I tried enabling it my self on my phone and I could not find the option. It has something to do with google updates. We have no control over that,  I would recommend a third-party app to still use dark mode on google assistant. 

On the other hand here are the instructions to Enable Dark theme for Discovery app

Step 1  Open Discovery

Step 2 Tap the icon on the top right corner  (Profile Picture)

Step 3 Tap Settings

Step 4 Choose Dark theme "Always"

Screenshot attached for your reference.

I hope this helps, Thanks for your patience!Screenshot_20200327-152333_Google News.jpg20200327_150422 (1).jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You rock, and thank you for the effort and sending the pictures. Unfortunately, didn't work, but...

The pictures show google news and not discovery on the top, and to my knowledge they aren't the same as I checked and would need to download google news.

However, I tried to follow in discovery to see if I could recreate and I am missing that menu option.

I attached the pictures in order from file # 1-6 (with menu commands below) showing me following the screen and menu options so you could see the option is missing. I noticed alot of users on the Note 9 seemed to have the same of issue of having it on these two apps then it pulled a Houdini and   .#1 - Discover/Profile Pic - No option#1 - Discover/Profile Pic - No option#2 Discover/More/Settings-no option#2 Discover/More/Settings-no option#3 -Discover/menue/setting/general#3 -Discover/menue/setting/general#4 Discover/More/Settings/Goog Asst/Assistant#4 Discover/More/Settings/Goog Asst/Assistant#5 Google Assistant screen#5 Google Assistant screen#6 Goog Asst/Menu  - then no options#6 Goog Asst/Menu - then no options

disappeared.  No solution for their issue posted.

Any suggestions? Are my menus different?

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi @user8Q53TXDm6I , Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately if you try to change the theme though the  Google search bar itself there would be an option, it has something to do with the google updates.

However,  You need to use Google Chrome to  be able to change the theme to Dark mode. I attached screenshot for your reference, Goodluck! Smiley Happy20200329_184803.jpg

20200329_184657.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-184614_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-184745_Chrome.jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much for all your time and ideas.

I think they must have rolled out a server change and somehow I was affected.

I had themed chrome.

Stay safe.