JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Keyboard missing after Android 10 update

(Topic created: 01-08-2020 04:17 AM)
user5HClBV8PIZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

After updating to android 10 on my Note10+ the keyboard is missing. I couldn't restart because it needed a password, but I managed to restart using side buttons. Still no keyboard. I currently have an expensive brick in my pocket. Please help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user5HClBV8PIZ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@MrQue wrote:

@user5HClBV8PIZHere are the steps on how to place your phone into safe mode. 

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key.
  3. When 'Samsung' appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. 'Safe mode' displays in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see 'Safe Mode.'
  8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode

1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart.
  3. Tap OK.
  4. The device restarts in normal mode.

Just to follow up, Going into safe mode allowed me to fix the problem. The issue was my 3ed party keyboard (Google handwriting keyboard)  not working with the update. Going into safe mode allowed me to set the Samsung keyboard as default and that solved my problem. Hopefully my preferred keyboard will be fixed soon too.

Don't do a factory reset for this, it probably isn't necessary.

View solution in context

15 Replies
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@user5HClBV8PIZ Does this issue still happen when your phone is in safe mode? 

0 Likes
userjJm627bCZE
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I'm not sure what you mean by safe mode but nothing can be accessed on the phone because we cant get passed the initial start up screen. We have to put a password in, biometrics dont work after a restart it has to be an actual password which requires the keyboard....

0 Likes
Rune_B
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Recently had a missing keyboard problem.

I solved it this way: 

• bought an OTG adapter and connected a PC keyboard and was able to log in. Changed to pattern lock to avoid more keyboard issues on login. Code number lock might also work without keyboard.
  • Found that no keyboard was installed, only Google Voice. Installed a keyboard from the app store. Maybe experts might find the original keyboard APK deep in the file system and reinstall it. Or in the Samsung Store? There is a "Samsung Keyboard" by Samsung. On my S8 it is shown as installed so it seems to be the original (updated) one. Might be best to use the one which was on the phone before if it can be found. Warning: The "Samsung Keyboard" I found on the Play Store is not by Samsung. 3rd Party Keyboards can steal passwords!

Note: I read on the net that sometimes the original keyboard is there but does not work. Maybe in that case you can go to app management, show system apps and clear cache and data of the keyboard.

0 Likes
userzjRdmRqJej
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

My Samsung keyboard also disappeared after my phone updated. There is no choice under default keyboard. I tried starting in safe mode, but I still can't choose a default keyboard. I don't have any third party keyboards downloaded. How do I get the Samsung keyboard back so I can use my phone? 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device? 

1.    Turn off the device.
2.    Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
3.    When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4.    An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5.    Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6.    Press Power key to select.
7.    Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8.    When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9.    Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userzjRdmRqJej
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've tried this more than once. It doesn't fix the problem. I still have no keyboard, which obviously makes the phone useless. 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userzjRdmRqJej Have you tried your device in safe mode? The steps to test your device in safe mode were provided previously in this thread.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userzjRdmRqJej
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've gone into safe mode. What do I do then? The Samsung keyboard isn't there. No keyboard comes up. How do I get the Samsung keyboard back? The update apparently deleted it for some unknown reason. Maybe Samsung should do another update that puts the keyboard back.

0 Likes
knightsurgeon
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

If you do not see the keyboard at all when the device is in safe mode I would recommend visiting a local uBreakiFix location so they can get a hands-on look at what is happening.

0 Likes