cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userxHrWnQKrNm
Asteroid

Linux On Dex - cancelled

Dear Samsung,

please, could you explicitly confirm you have canceled LoD? Can product manager just say:

"Yeah, we already blew up the whole community around LoD and with UI 2.0 we will blow up the support of other devices as well."

So let me tell you something. I am selling my Note 10+ since Note's value is not worth it. You guys say, "our community is extremely rare and nobody would use it.How do you even know? You did not even try anything to spread it between normal people. You did not even try to teach your audience how to use it. 

So clever to equip the phone with 12gb of ram and fast CPU while nobody is able to take advantage of such hardware. You had a chance to be absolutely different from any other competition - but you are greedy. And if there is no monetization you just blew up your fans over. 

Samsung - your decisions are not stable and I lost trust in you. I highly do not like falsy promises. 

Bad Regards

userxHrWnQKrNm

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Linux On Dex - cancelled

I have a couple of issues with your post...

"Yeah, we already blew up the whole community around LoD and with UI 2.0 we will blow up the support of other devices as well."

Get real, they won't say that.

So let me tell you something. I am selling my Note 10+ since Note's value is not worth it. You guys say, "our community is extremely rare and nobody would use it.How do you even know? You did not even try anything to spread it between normal people. You did not even try to teach your audience how to use it. 

Teach people how to use Linux? Again man, get real, no one uses it even on PC. What's Linux market share worldwide, under 2%? Normal people don't need to use Linux, never did and never will.

So clever to equip the phone with 12gb of ram and fast CPU while nobody is able to take advantage of such hardware. You had a chance to be absolutely different from any other competition - but you are greedy as heck. And if there is no monetization you just blew up your fans over.

I don't know why any of that matters.

Samsung - your decisions are not stable and I lost trust in you. I highly do not like falsy promises.

They never made any false promises. The only thing I saw from anyone from Samsung is a statement that they can't comment on future releases. They never promised or implied that LoD will be supported.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
userxHrWnQKrNm
Asteroid

@Geno71 wrote:

I have a couple of issues with your post...

// Yes, of course you have...

Teach people how to use Linux? Again man, get real, no one uses it even on PC. What's Linux market share worldwide, under 2%? Normal people don't need to use Linux, never did and never will.

//Let's be clear - browsing with just Dex is not PC experience. You are recognized by servers as a mobile phone - not PC so you are constantly served mobile pages versions. Or you are redirected to a mobile subdomains like "m.maindomain.com". Browsing just on Linux is much faster and PC like. The same goes for many other things - it really does not matter if its Linux, MacOS or Windows running in the Dex container - if you teach people how to use it (and sorry, for basic user Ubuntu is super easy) and WHY to use it - people will use it. Samsung did not even try. 

I don't know why any of that matters.

//What?? Did you really think I bought 12gb and 512gb just for Candy Crash and emails? If I want regular use from a mobile phone I could buy any garbage for 300$ and job would be the same. Also, be so kind and check reddit - everybody there bought Note10+ just for Linux On Dex so they can finally take full potential of a Hardware. 

Never mind this - I already sold my Note 10+ - and my advice for other people, who are waiting for LoD - sell your Note 10+ as well.

Samsung Care Ambassador

So what phone did you buy instead that gives you Linux? Or anything like DEX?

Ubuntu might be an easier version when compared to other Linux distros, but it's no where near as user friendly as Windows or Mac OS. Sure if someone forced people into using it and offered to teach them how, they could... but the way things are today... Why would they?

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
userV3Mkvrf9uX
Asteroid

It makes absolutely zero sense to walk around with a high powered computer in your pocket for simply making phone calls and playing games. Especially with devices like the HP LapDock X3 available.  Now that the new version of Android will also be eliminating Termux, it is completely pointless.  I develop web applications in PHP, Nginx and MySQL.  So far Termux has worked excellent for this and it has been great to rush off to the office with only my phone, and my HP LapDock for client meetings. To be able to take phone calls and send texts natively on my desktop, helped me to never miss one even with my ringer down. Linux on Dex was just about there for development. Now gone.

I only ever used the CLI version. I didn't get into the GUI.

People are absolutely STUNNED when I show them Dex. They had no idea it even existed on their phone. I just had a conversation with a group from another company and we all agreed that this would be the future. No reason to have another expensive device to carry around.

I believe this to be just another executive move for futher profits. It's bad business to expand on one technology when it takes away from another. Get me to buy a phone and a laptop and you make more money, right?  Not from me. After my S9+ dies, I will go back to cheap phones and a laptop forget the whole idea.

Honesly, what is the point of a high-spec phone except to impress your friends?