cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userKFRTQ2wq8E
Asteroid

My $1,200 phone can't tell the difference between audio and calls Bluetooth Help!

I have all but given up with Verizon in Samsung technical support. I have been using Samsung Galaxy devices dating all the way back to the S2 and none of them have had this problem. 

When using Bluetooth, there are two different profiles the phone uses - One is for phone calls and the other is for audio. The phone has always been able to tell the difference. When I’m on a phone call, it uses the “calls” mode and when I’m listening to music or a podcast, it uses the “audio” profile. Now, with my new $1,200 Galaxy Note 10 plus, it can't seem to figure it out which mode to use. It plays the music through the “calls” profile so it's sort of like hearing your music in mono. I can correct this behavior temporarily by tricking the phone by quickly dialing into my voicemail and hanging up. This will throw the phone back into audio mode. But about 15 minutes later, it will go right back into the “calls” profile. Samsung will tell you to reset the network settings and if that doesn't work, reset the phone settings. These solutions have been ineffective. I’m convinced it's some sort of glitch in the phone app but I’m just guessing.  Samsung doesn't yet acknowledge this is a problem but I can't be the only one having this issue. Has anyone else been able to figure this out? I have both the audio and phone call Sliders turned on in the Bluetooth settings menu. If I turn off the “calls” slider, everything works fine but that is no solution when I want to use the headset or vehicle bluetooth for making phone calls.

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: My $1,200 phone can't tell the difference between audio and calls Bluetooth Help!

@userKFRTQ2wq8E Have you tried clearing the cache partition on your phone? Here are the steps. 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby / Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Bixby / Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Bixby / Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Bixby / Power key to restart the device.
userKFRTQ2wq8E
Asteroid

Re: My $1,200 phone can't tell the difference between audio and calls Bluetooth Help!

I wiped the partition as you suggested. The Note 10+ uses a slightly different method than the one you described. This is what worked for me as far as wiping the partition.

1. Press and hold the Power key, tap Power off, and then tap OK.
  2. Press and hold the Power key and Up Volume key at the same time.
  3. Release the Power key when the Samsung logo appears.
  4. Release the Volume keys when the Android image appears.
  5. Press the Volume keys to highlight Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press the Power key to select.
  7. Once “Cache wipe complete” appears, press the Power key to select Reboot system now.
  8. The device restarts once the wipe is finished.

Whether or not this has fixed my bluetooth issue remains to be seen. I will report back once I test it out. Either way, I appreciate the reply.

RJ

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thanks for giving that a try, please keep us posted. 

userKFRTQ2wq8E
Asteroid

Regretably this did not change a thing. Phone is still jumping into "calls" mode when listening to music.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would recommend having the phone looked at by a certified technician. You can do this either by shipping in the phone to the repair center or taking it by a local uBreakiFix location. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/ubreakifix/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userKFRTQ2wq8E
Asteroid

I will have to find time to do this....although with this price tag, I shouldn't have to. Thanks for the suggestion. My frustration is not with you. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

@userKFRTQ2wq8E Try to use with different bluetooth device source. The phone will use either calls or audio base on what bluetooth device connected to supports calls or audio only. If you think the phone confuses which route to connect meaning the bluetooth source may have defect on which audio out they are using. If the phone will use calls only even though bluetooth source has audio meaning that device is defective of some sort.

userKFRTQ2wq8E
Asteroid

This behavior occurs in the car and on my Bose BT headphones. It's not the BT device. It's the phone. Thanks though. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@userKFRTQ2wq8E wrote:

This behavior occurs in the car and on my Bose BT headphones. It's not the BT device. It's the phone. Thanks though. 

A long shot : check and change the bluetooth codecs the devices use, perhaps that will have an effect.