cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Note 10+ 5G: Chrome locks up when touching the screen with S Pen after searching

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nearly every time I open Chrome and search for something if I use the S Pen to try to scroll down the results by swiping on the screen, the context menu opens like I long-pressed one of the results, then the phone locks up completely. Pressing the home or back keys at the bottom does nothing, though they are highlighted to acknowlege my touch. Sometimes the home key will freeze in the highlighted state.

After about 60 seconds the app will report that Chrome is not responding and I have the option to force-close it. If I do so and reopen Chrome the same issue will return unless I don't touch the results page for roughly 15-30 seconds.

I have not been able to replicate the issue using just my finger, I believe it is only related to the S Pen.

I have cleared the Chrome app cache, rebooted my phone, and cleared the phone cache with no change.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Note 10+ 5G: Chrome locks up when touching the screen with S Pen after sea..

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If this is only occurring in chrome, you will need to speak with the chrome app developers as it is the app developer's responsibility to update apps to work properly with the hardware. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Note 10+ 5G: Chrome locks up when touching the screen with S Pen after searching

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does this occur on any other browser?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Note 10+ 5G: Chrome locks up when touching the screen with S Pen after searching

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Larry,

I just tested the issue on the built-in browser, "internet" and didn't have the issue. Ironically, following the link in the email that notified me of your response to this thread caused the issue again, as I followed the link from the gmail app which seems to open an instance of Chrome inside gmail.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you attempted to wipe the cache partition on your device? Also, try resetting the S Pen and see if the same symptoms still appear.

Wipe cache partition:

- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby / Power key.
- When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
- An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
- Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
- Press Bixby / Power key to select.
- Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Bixby / Power key to select.
- When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
- Press the Bixby / Power key to restart the device.

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi JoJo,

I have already wiped the cache partition, it did not make any difference.

I searched for instructions on how to reset the S Pen but wasn't able to find anything. Can you explain how to do that?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No worries.

Follow these few steps:

- Insert the S Pen.
- Insert the S Pen into your phone until it clicks into place.

- Navigate to Air actions or S Pen remote.
- From Settings, search for and select Air actions or S Pen remote.

- Reset the S Pen.
- Tap More options (the three dots), and then tap Reset S Pen.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello JoJo,

I followed those steps, but the option to Reset S Pen wasn't visible because I had Air actions turned off. I have turned it on and reset the pen and I will report the results once I'm able to test. Do I need to leave Air actions on for the pen to function normally as a stylus?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As an update, I just replicated the issue again after resetting the S Pen and leaving Air actions turned on.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, it happens on other browsers too

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungJace @That is really not a very good answer. Chrome is perhaps the biggest app on Android, in fact it is Android in many ways. So, if Samsung sells a device with a very niche feature like the s-pen, then it's up to Samsung to take the lead on making sure their bit of kit plays nicely with the OS. If you're going to make sauce, it had better taste good on the burger! It's a persistent problem, lots of people complain about it, and like me, they've all shelled out £$€¥00s for this phone to Samsung, not to Google. Washing your hands of it with a smirk is not very impressive, it just says you can't be bothered.