cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userArNlmXpxot
Asteroid

Note 10+ overheats and restarts constantly

-Got the phone on Saturday the 14th (5G version from T-Mobile, if that matters)

-On Monday morning, the phone starts to get really hot and restart constantly. Tried wiping the system cache, that did nothing, so I went with the nuclear option and factory reset the phone

-Phone works fine until Thursday morning, at which point it starts doing the exact same thing again. I take it back to the store and exchange it for a fresh one

-The new one proceeds to start doing the same thing while I'm in the middle of setting it up

-Factory reset the new phone, it works fine for the next 10 days

-Phone starts doing the same thing again today

The two times it started acting up on Thursday it was right after installing a system update. the first time and today noting of the sort happened leading up to it. The behavior doesn't seem to correlate to what I'm actually doing on the phone in any way (I was playing a game when it started crashing again today but I was playing the same game on it all day yesterday with no issues.) It even does this when the phone is in safe mode. Turning the phone off for a bit and letting it cool down doesn't help at all. 

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Note 10+ overheats and restarts constantly

If the unit continues to overheat within Safe Mode, I would recommend service take place on the unit. Seeing though how it is brand new, You can reach out to T-Mobile if you'd like to see if they'd be willing to do another exchange. If you wish to have service set up instead, please send one of our moderators a private message, and we'd be happy to get that set up for you. 

userArNlmXpxot
Asteroid

I just went ahead and did another factory reset. Phone has been behaving well enough so far (implying that this is a software issue more than a hardware one,) I'll update here again if the problem pops up again.

userArNlmXpxot
Asteroid

I think I might have figured it out?

I started getting the crash loop again, and was about to take it back to the store to get another fresh one, then I noticed that this time after it restarted it complained about how the work profile device policy (a thing your work might have you do where the apps that access your work email and what-not have to be a separate profile on your phone, separate set of apps, etc) didn't like the password I had set on my phone. That put the idea in my head that maybe that was the issue (which would both confirm that it was a software problem as I suspected *and* explain why it went away when I soft reset (since that takes the work profile away for a bit) as well as why it still happened in safe mode (since I'd imagine the work profile stuff still happens in that case.) 

I'll update here if it turns out that it was a red herring and the problem pops up again, but I figured I'd post this so Samsung could maybe try to figure out why a work profile would cause this issue.