cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

One UI 2.1 Update Lag/Glitches

So it's clear that a good amount of people are having issues with lag and stutter since the latest update, myself being one of them.

I competitively play Pubg and literally purchased this phone for that reason exclusively. The game is unplayable since the update due to frame drops. While the lag is most apparent in hardware-intensive games, it definitely is an issue system-wide for me...even the keyboard is laggy. I've cleared the cache, factory reset...nothing helps. 

So I contacted Samsung and after explaining everything to them, the rep said contact the devs of PubG...which, of course, is absurd.

Has anyone seen any indication of Samsung even acknowledging these issues? 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: One UI 2.1 Update Lag/Glitches

Hey bro, hope you don't mind but I figured it'd be easier at this point to just copy and paste my last reply regarding this. I'm so irritated by Samsung at this point. 

Hey bud, hope you're well. I've discovered your post during my 3rd week of researching this frame rate loss issue. I've played pubg daily since season 2. I've had every galaxy note out out, and in the current state of my 10+ I'd have to say my note 8 performed better back when I had it.

I've had the 10+ since release day, it ran pubg very well, perfectly actually.....That is up until a few weeks ago when I got the ui 2.1 update. Ever since that day pubg had run like trash! I can't even really stand to play anymore. Terrible frame rate, lag, and overall gaming experience. 

I've tried all I can to correct it; tweaking developer options, clearing the cache partition, performance mode on and off. Ive posted in a few forums, and I know there are more than a few people making the same complaint but I can't find a solution ANYWHERE!

Please let me know if you have been able to get it running right again. Thanks!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yeah, same here...I've been a conq player for the last 6 seasons and well, let's just say that it's not gonna happen for 12. I have yet to find a way to run the game with the settings I've ran it at since I got the thing. That being said, I've found a way to make it playable...but in no way ideal.

So...

First, enable developer options (android build number a bunch, it'll give you a message)...then scroll down and check off "Disable HW Overlays" (found that advice in a forum, not sure what it does but it does help)

Secondly...

I've always used GFX tools pro even before this mess to run at 2280x1080 resolution, though I've never used the other options, I've messed with them and...yeah. So there is a free version available in XDA labs...wherever you get it though, make sure the dev is Trilokia Inc...

Here's the stuff I messed with;

Under Basic Graphics

I kept my resolution settings where I always had them;

changed the graphics from Balanced to Smooth

FPS from extreme to ultra (40fps...you're better off, keeping it at extreme causes a lot of stutter)

Shadows disabled

MSAA Enabled (2x MSAA, 1xFXAA, 1xAni)

Then go to Advanced graphics and change the Hardware Accelerated Rendering to Open GL 2.0

Always launch the game through this app for the settings to stick.

Is this a fix? No. But it definitely is playable. 

That being said, Samsung really needs to get their s.it together. I've tried contacting them through here, twitter...they either tell me to contact the app dev (which is absurd, this is their screwup) or to factory restore again. There is no way to roll back the update because it included an update to the bootloader, which has a anti-rollback mechanism that afaik, has never been bypassed. 

At this point I would be thrilled to just hear them acknowledge the issue and tell us that they're addressing it. Like, I paid over a grand for a phone 2 months ago so I could play graphics intensive games, not use their stupid AR doodle. I would hate to have to spend a load of cash on another phone so soon, but the OnePlus 8 series is looking pretty appealing right now...I even heard rumors that the company actually gives a .... about their customers. 

Either way, if I find more info or a fix, I'll post on here...and I'd be great if you could do the same.

By the way, curious, is your 10+ carrier branded? Doubt it's relevant, but just wondering...I'm on ATT myself.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Hey guys, so the little update did nothing to improve anything as far as gaming goes. 

BUT....I THINK I see the play. Sammy's been workin an angle.... At least it seems they have. 

I was told about this today. I have used the game booster on my note 10 plus for a while now, can't really say I noticed anything major, but I do appreciate the app organization.  Well there is now a group of apps you can download from either app store, Google or Samsung called game plugins.  It looks like a GREAT set of tools as it shows fps on screen and allows you to customize your experience by cranking up the things you want individually.  

Once you download the first one you'll be able to download the rest. 

Here's the bad news..... I've not personally used it yet. I JUST installed it. Actually while I was writing this I did it, so I will report back once I do.Screenshot_20200507-151447_Galaxy Store.jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

Found a solution. There actually is compatible firmware with one UI 2.0 and the current bootloader that can be flashed via Odin. 

Go to the xda forums, note 10+, the thread is titled OneUI 2.1 Lag/Graphics bug...the solution is within.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Hey, so after reading your post this afternoon on xda I decided to check for an update, low and behold there is one. See below for image. From what I can see it's mays security update but when I click the link to "see more details " its a pretty long list, and it all appears to be the stuff that was included in the ui 2.1 update. Maybe I'm not interpreting it properly. I'm going to let  it do its thing I suppose,  and hope they put a fix in for this issue.  Does this give any new insight to you? Edit: Never mind,  I see now. It says update 04/13 and security update 05/01Screenshot_20200504-163040_Software update.jpg

Screenshot_20200505-000416_Samsung Internet.jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

Don't need to write much as I'm having the same issue with my note 10 + since the UI 2.1 update. Call of duty, pubg, anyb gfx intensive game now runs like garbage. 

Snapdragon variant, Verizon carrier. All suggestions other than using Odin and rolling back have failed. Haven't tried the Odin thing yet but I only have so much patience for a fix. 

It definitely will come into play when it comes time for a new phone. If Samsung doesn't care enough, then I don't care for their products. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Yes same but i use note 10 lite it still lag so much when i play idenity v or minecraft. Even when i exit game it still lag. I dont know what happend. But to fix it i need to restart my device. But it just annoying because when i am in the middle of game i need to restart my device

Highlighted
Asteroid

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!! (I read it somewhere).

So, turn on "Developer Options" then go into Developer Options then scroll down to locate "DISABLE HW OVERLAYS". Turn this option ON. Now open PUBG. Once you are in the lobby, You will notice your game display is flickering and still lagging. But all you have to do now is press home button to minimize the game. Don't close the game. Just minimize it. Then just go back in the game. Thats it. Your game will not flicker and lag anymore. ENJOY YOUR FULL 60 FPS AGAIN. You will have to repeat the home button/minimize step everytime you open the game. But thats it. It takes less then 3 seconds to minimize the game and get back into it. Of course, it is not an official fix from samsung but it works. Good luck!