cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Phone dialer issues

Every time I select and highlight a phone number in an email or website that uses parentheses for a US area code, the phone incorrectly transfers it to the dialer screen/app.

I either long press to highlight or manually highlight a number and the phone recognizes it as a phone number. A button appears to click "call" (with the dialer image). I press it and a plus symbol appears after the first three numbers (US area code). 

For example (000) 000-0000 gets always transferred as 000+0000000 from emails or websites.

Once I deleted the plus symbol, the correct number appears with the parantheses in the dialer as it should have the first time.

There are no issues if a number is posted with only dashes or periods. Phone recognizes them just fine.

This problem seems to have begun with the Android 10 update. I have not noticed it prior to that. I have tried a factory reset and have wiped the cache and data from the "Phone" app.

I have a US spec factory unlocked (non-carrier) Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ running the latest software purchased directly from the Samsung US site.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Phone dialer issues

Don't make space between number. If you type (000)000-0000 like this it won't show you +.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Does this occur in all apps? It is likely an Android change with the latest update.

Highlighted

I have verified with another Note 10+ Unlocked US (non-carrier) version phone user that the he has the same issue. It seems to be a bug. Older Galaxy phones do not exhibit this issue.

Happens within all apps, email clients, websites, text itself, etc. as long as the area code is in parantheses. In this format which happens to be the most common: (000) 000-0000

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

That is definitely odd. I would recommend reporting the bug to Google: Link

Highlighted

I followed the other suggestion and installed another dialer app (Drupe) and the issue is not present. The number transfer correctly to the app's dial screen once "call" (of the Drupe app) is pressed after long pressing the phone number. 

Seems to a problem with the stock Samsung Dial App instead of an OS issue.

Is there any way of submitting a bug report to Samsung?

Highlighted

You can try installing another dial app and set it as your default dialer. 

Highlighted

I thought about that but this should not be a problem with the dial app. It seems that the stock app has a glitch that does not correctly recognize all varients of US phone numbers.

I'm wondering if it's just the unlocked versions that have this issue or if all carrier versions have it too.

I installed the Drupe Dialer app and the issue is not present. Everything works fine on that app.

Highlighted
Constellation

The problem also occurs in note 9.

I don't think it's related to phone app because if you select message, the same thing occurs.

Have tried different messaging apps and no difference.

Spoke to samsung support, they've got no idea.

Come on Samsung!!! this is a global issue.

wasted hours research and end up with nothing.