cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Samsung_VdDesT2
Astronaut

Please remove Qihoo 360 from Device Care

In a recent post on Reddit a user noticed that Device Care, specifically the Storage component, is using Qihoo 360 technology. They go on to provide links to articles showing how this company has been involved in investigations into shady business practices, and a link to an article where an executive confirms they'll hand over any data that the Chinese government would request. Having looked into it, I'm pretty sure it's not something I want scanning the storage on my phone. Via WireShark you can see it sending out information to Qihoo 360 whenever its run. Samsung please remove this from your phones, I'll happily use whatever alternative you create, or live without the feature. Both are preferable to possible spyware, thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Please remove Qihoo 360 from Device Care

This is very concerning.

userFLjtXvxr0C
Astronaut

This is not a permanent solution tho, if i had to do this on every samsung phone i would just choose a easier way: buy Google pixel, Nokia or iphone.

Well, at least my s9 plus would be an excellent alarm clock for many years to come.

useryj8YGZ0Jjz
Astronaut

Not just concerning. It is infuriating Samsung would partner up with a Chinese company that scans your phone storage and sends data back to China! Could Samsung not develop an in-house solution? Has my Samsung enabled the CCP to build a profile on me all these years?

userrKmTpPXeVK
Astronaut

First Facebook now Qihoo. Guess the 10+ are the last Samsung phones we'll be purchasing here. I guess Pixels are the only option left.

Waiting for the Feds to tell us that Samsungs, Huaweis and ZTEs are no longer allowed for use with government clients.

Oh well.

useraW9FLeYGop
Constellation

Here's the Reddit article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/ektg8u/chinese_spyware_preinstalled_on_all_samsung/

I agree with the concerns listed above.   It sounds like a "fox in the henhouse" problem, given the issues with Qihoo360 in the past.  Why rely on a company with this kind of history for core software which cannot be removed?

I hope Samsung addresses this issue promptly, or my next phone (sadly) may not be a Samsung.

Samsung_KCEhrmo
Astronaut

REMOVE OIHOO FRM MY DEVVICE

Kaloob
Constellation

Samsung_IoVl5YO
Astronaut

Yes please remove this from my phone