cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soliloquy
Cosmic Ray

Poor reception and frustration

I have been frustrated with Samsung the past year or so and the rash of issues I've had with my Note 10+ has me rethinking my trust in their products. After my S8+ crapped out on me (a disaster of a phone that I could not return or get replaced by Sprint or Samsung), I needed a new phone. I decided I wanted to finally get a Note and with the Note 10 release that's the way I went. Sprint screw-ed me on a discount deal and a discount for a Samsung watch but that's not on Samsung.

Here I am now a few weeks after purchase and I noticed something odd, I'm not getting reception with the Note 10+ I just got, yet with my S8+ in the same areas I was getting full reception. I cannot use maps on a road trip it's skippy and buffers quite often. I researched this online and it seems that this is the norm for the Note 10 phones. If this is the quality Samsung is putting out on a $1000+ phone then I'm going to be moving on. I am still trying to figure out if there is a fix for this problem but I'm not giving it long, I only have a week or so till I can return the phone free of charge.

Not that this matters to people but I have been a loyal Samsung fanboy for a long time. I have purchased, tv's, computer components, phones and appliances and have turned several other people onto these products as well. I have dealt with a lot the past couple of years and still was loyal but this signal issue is a huge problem, I'm in my home and there is a cell phone tower less than a half mile away from where I live and my connection is as bad as if I was in an underground bunker. I am using an app to detect signal strength.

7 REPLIES 7
Neutron Star

Re: Poor reception and frustration

@Soliloquy wrote:

I have been frustrated with Samsung the past year or so and the rash of issues I've had with my Note 10+ has me rethinking my trust in their products. After my S8+ crapped out on me (a disaster of a phone that I could not return or get replaced by Sprint or Samsung), I needed a new phone. I decided I wanted to finally get a Note and with the Note 10 release that's the way I went. Sprint screw-ed me on a discount deal and a discount for a Samsung watch but that's not on Samsung.

Here I am now a few weeks after purchase and I noticed something odd, I'm not getting reception with the Note 10+ I just got, yet with my S8+ in the same areas I was getting full reception. I cannot use maps on a road trip it's skippy and buffers quite often. I researched this online and it seems that this is the norm for the Note 10 phones. If this is the quality Samsung is putting out on a $1000+ phone then I'm going to be moving on. I am still trying to figure out if there is a fix for this problem but I'm not giving it long, I only have a week or so till I can return the phone free of charge.

Not that this matters to people but I have been a loyal Samsung fanboy for a long time. I have purchased, tv's, computer components, phones and appliances and have turned several other people onto these products as well. I have dealt with a lot the past couple of years and still was loyal but this signal issue is a huge problem, I'm in my home and there is a cell phone tower less than a half mile away from where I live and my connection is as bad as if I was in an underground bunker. I am using an app to detect signal strength.

There are posts about this issue on different carriers.  I believe since the device is new, there are more antenna fine-tuning Samsung would need to do to make it perform like older devices(S8, S9...).  Every time new device is released, we see early adopters having issues, unless it is a hardware, then software update won't fix it.  I would give Samsung time to make adjustments for the cell/signal reception.  For example my Note10 on T-Mobile software, does not experience reception issues.  I did Speed test and used LTE Discovery app to see how the phone performs.  In pretty much all of the tests Note10 was on par with other devices I previously owned. 

Soliloquy
Cosmic Ray

Charkatak,  I understand there are issues with new products. BUT THE MAIN FEATURE OF A CELL PHONE IS BEING A PHONE. If it can't do that right then it's not worth the $1000 price tag. My issue is the time for me to be able to return the phone at no charge is about a week or so away and I don't want to hold out past that time because if it doesn't get fixed then I'm stuck with a $1000 paper weight.

I'm sorry this should not be an issue with a cell phone. If the S pen had an issue or the camera, then fine but when I can't use the main function of the phone then what do I have? It's also a safety issue for people, if your broken down in a car or having an issue and you can't use your phone to call for help, then what?

My roommate's friend came over same carrier as I have, he's using the newest Pixel and his connection is 10 times better than mine. There seems to be a lot of people with this issue, it would be nice if Samsung came out and made a statement or something. Even if it.s just stating they are looking into the connection issue people are experiencing. But nothing from them.

Sorry if I seem a bit whatever, as I stated I have been a Samsung fanboy for a long time and it's also the cause of the anger. I feel a bit shystered at this point and I'm now worried about the other products like a Samung nvme drive I purchased recently. Will it stop being a harddrive? I mean their phones can't phone so can their tv's, tv or their refrigerators, refrige?

Neutron Star

@Soliloquy wrote:

Charkatak,  I understand there are issues with new products. BUT THE MAIN FEATURE OF A CELL PHONE IS BEING A PHONE. If it can't do that right then it's not worth the $1000 price tag. My issue is the time for me to be able to return the phone at no charge is about a week or so away and I don't want to hold out past that time because if it doesn't get fixed then I'm stuck with a $1000 paper weight.

I'm sorry this should not be an issue with a cell phone. If the S pen had an issue or the camera, then fine but when I can't use the main function of the phone then what do I have? It's also a safety issue for people, if your broken down in a car or having an issue and you can't use your phone to call for help, then what?

My roommate's friend came over same carrier as I have, he's using the newest Pixel and his connection is 10 times better than mine. There seems to be a lot of people with this issue, it would be nice if Samsung came out and made a statement or something. Even if it.s just stating they are looking into the connection issue people are experiencing. But nothing from them.

Sorry if I seem a bit whatever, as I stated I have been a Samsung fanboy for a long time and it's also the cause of the anger. I feel a bit shystered at this point and I'm now worried about the other products like a Samung nvme drive I purchased recently. Will it stop being a harddrive? I mean their phones can't phone so can their tv's, tv or their refrigerators, refrige?

I totally get what you are saying and agree.  I didn't know that you still have time to return the device.  I don't think Samsung will fix it within a week.  I too use phone for calls mostly, but after getting my device and testing it, I kept it as it works properly.  I flashed my unlocked Note10 with T-Mobile firmware the day I got it, maybe that is why there is no cell signal issue...

Soliloquy
Cosmic Ray

Maybe that's why you do'nt have the issue. I know the odds are slim to none to get fixed but who knows. Thanks for your input.

userBpWxXFHMVo
Constellation

I am having the same issue. Samsung told me go back to the store. Store telling me they can not trade the phone cause of defect. So now I'm stuck with a phone with poor service. Been a samsung customer for over 10 years. Not happy!

Soliloquy
Cosmic Ray

That is terrible, they are playing ping pong with a customer because neither wants the responsibility of trying to fix the issue. They are pretty much saying it's yours now deal with it. This may ben a large enough of an issue we can get the BBB involved and possibly a class action lawsuit. I'm not one to throw these things around but with the amount of money these companies make off products like this, they should be responsible for fixing the issues or replacing the products.

Haganjeff
Cosmic Ray

I've had 2 phones, one unlocked and one a carrier version Verizon and both have had major signal issues with fix in sight and no one that wants to follow up about it.