JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Restarting prevents notifications and text message receipt

(Topic created: 09-12-2019 06:41 AM)
CmptrWhz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I turned off the automatic restart feature. But, what I am wondering is if this will solve my issue.

When I finally woke up this morning, because my alarm was silent, I unlocked my phone. Only after unlocking my phone did I receive a silent notification of new text messages that where just received but sent over an hour ago, I know they were sent an hour ago i spoke with the individual who sent it. I finally received notification that my alarm went off. I immediatly checked the device volume settings. Notification volume was set to silent. I know without question my volumes were all at max. I do not use the "Do Not Disturb" feature. Is there an app that silences the phone notification volumes at "Night" hours? Is the fact that device restart was enabled the reason as to why my text messages were not received until after I unlocked the phone? Shouldn't the user have control over whether or not they want to be "Disturbed" during night hours? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@CmptrWhz wrote:

I turned off the automatic restart feature. But, what I am wondering is if this will solve my issue.

When I finally woke up this morning, because my alarm was silent, I unlocked my phone. Only after unlocking my phone did I receive a silent notification of new text messages that where just received but sent over an hour ago, I know they were sent an hour ago i spoke with the individual who sent it. I finally received notification that my alarm went off. I immediatly checked the device volume settings. Notification volume was set to silent. I know without question my volumes were all at max. I do not use the "Do Not Disturb" feature. Is there an app that silences the phone notification volumes at "Night" hours? Is the fact that device restart was enabled the reason as to why my text messages were not received until after I unlocked the phone? Shouldn't the user have control over whether or not they want to be "Disturbed" during night hours? 

-After restart, before the phone is unlocked some of the features may not.

-Go to settigns>device care>battery>tap 3 dots on top right>then tap settings>there check to see if Optimize settings was on 

-If you use Bixby profiles, it can change stuff depending on your setup

View solution in context

7 Replies
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@usererY72zlByj Does this issue still persist if your phone is in safe mode? Here the steps for safe mode. 

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key.
  3. When 'Samsung' appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. 'Safe mode' displays in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see 'Safe Mode.'
  8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode

1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart.
  3. Tap OK.
  4. The device restarts in normal mode.
0 Likes
CmptrWhz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I would love to remove the app causing my notification volume to be muted. If I knew what app was actually causing it

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I would recommend testing your device this evening without automatic restart enabled. Please keep us posted if you experience the same symptoms tomorrow morning.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
CmptrWhz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

No issues this morning. I would have to say because of the restart procedure that the phone has and the fact that the phone doesn't complete it's restart process until after you unlock it that this is why the functionality of most items are Null.  If you have your phone set to auto restart beware that the phone does not finish it's restart process until after you unlock the phone. If you are expecting text messages, notifications, or phone calls after the restarting process you will not receive them until you unlock your phone to allow it to finish it's restart process. This seems to be a failure in my opinion. What logic is there in not allowing the phone to complete it's restarting process and be Fully functional without having to unlock it???

0 Likes
Big dog crew
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

How do we change this? It's annoying. I have auto restart for 3am when I'm sleep, but I miss notifications (ie messages, or security alerts) until I wake up.

0 Likes
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@CmptrWhz wrote:

-After restart, before the phone is unlocked some of the features may not.

-Go to settigns>device care>battery>tap 3 dots on top right>then tap settings>there check to see if Optimize settings was on 

-If you use Bixby profiles, it can change stuff depending on your setup

Samsung_Ae3nms3
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you

0 Likes