cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

SM-N975U1 SMS issues

Been fighting with my carrier over this issue for 6 months at least, which is frustrating considering I have one had my Note 10+ for 7 months. Ok let's get to the issue.

On almost a daily basis I have issues sending sms messages using either the default messaging app or my goto Signal. Everytime I bring up the issue with my carrier they say "A Samsung update back in August 2019 broke outbound messaging". Now to be clear, this does not affect my incoming messages, although there could be a delay I am entirely unaware of on my end. My problem is only sending SMS messages. They fail to send and the only way to get messages to send again is to clear the failed message from the messaging app and restart the phone. Now in some cases I have to also be careful not to try and send the exact same message after reboot or it will fail again.IIs this actually a known Samsung issue as they claim it affects the Note 10 and Galaxy S10 line, or, is this my carrier trying to cover their butts while they scramble for a fix.

I am also wondering, does SMS use data in any way? If it does this may narrow down the problem a great deal and help me get a fix much sooner.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: SM-N975U1 SMS issues

Texting doesn’t use Data. (Internet data).

It uses the SMS (Short Messaging Service) protocol that is built on/into the basic operation of cellphones, which is that they communicate constantly with cellphone towers to know which ones to connect to, their signal strength, etc. in order to be able to send and receive texts. However, you do have to have some type of connection either to Wi-Fi or to Mobile Data for text to work. For example, you cannot send or receive a text while in Airplane Mode without turning on Wi-Fi.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: SM-N975U1 SMS issues

is your wi-fi calling enabled? try after disabling wi-fi calling for both SMS and MMS.