Original topic:

[SOLVED] S Pen Dead Zone after One UI 2.0/Android 10 Update

(Topic created: 01-16-2020 05:37 PM)
userhnU2AkSxTI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

[SOLVED] 

I've updated this post with a comment marked as the solution. You may read the original post below which contains details on the issue, which has now been resolved.

-----Original Post-----

Does anyone have this issue? Please feel free to test this out on your Note 10 device.

I’m currently using an unlocked Note 10 plus. I’ve had this problem for a few days, immediately after updating.

I’ve noticed that certain configurations for gestures and hints create a “dead zone” with unresponsive input from the S Pen in the bottom right corner of my device. This problem did not exist before the One UI 2.0/Android 10 update, so it is definitely a software issue and not the hardware.

Here’s the setup where I noticed the problem:

Settings > Display > Navigation bar > Full screen gestures

-Gesture Hints [Off], -/+Show button to hide keyboard [On or Off], +Block gestures with S Pen [On]

Button order: [Recent apps], [Home], [Back]

Next, in the Samsung Internet app (for this example), attempting to select the ‘Tools’ icon (menu icon with three bars) in the bottom right corner, requires multiple taps to make the selection. In other apps I’ve noticed the bottom right corner, with this setup of gestures, results in the same “dead zone” for the S Pen, requiring multiple taps (in various spots within that zone) to make a successful selection.

Using a different button order does not (always) work*. However, enabling gesture hints or a full navigation bar with buttons at the bottom seems to temporarily resolve the issue (since these push content on the screen upward). I prefer using full screen gestures without hints in addition to using the S Pen for other tasks that utilize that area of the screen, but I can’t do that with this new bug from the update. Touch input works normally as excepted.

I’ve tried multiple ways to resolve this, including:

• Reset the S Pen
  • Format my device completely to a factory default state (twice within one week)
  • Wipe the cache partition (after each format/factory restore)
  • Toggle various settings on and off [touch sensitivity, air gestures, allow multiple S Pens]
  • Test in Safe Mode (the area is still unresponsive)

None of the above worked, the problem is still there. I do not have a case with any magnets, I am using a screen protector (Whitestone Dome), and I’ve tried other S Pens and compatible styluses in the same spot with no success. Again, the input from the S Pen worked perfectly before the One UI 2.0/Android 10 update.

*Sometimes it works (depending on where I tap the screen), sometimes it doesn’t. When it does work (after switching the navigation gesture type, toggling hints and swapping the button order many times), as soon as I lock and unlock the device, that area of the screen stops working again.

Any suggestions to fix this at the moment? Could a future update resolve this?

[This issue has been resolved with a recent update].

11 Replies
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Have you tested the phone in Safe Mode to confirm there is no third party software conflicting with the update? Regretfully, I am unable to speculate on any future updates.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userhnU2AkSxTI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have tested the phone in Safe Mode and I can confirm that third party software is not conflicting with the update. I formatted the phone, wiped it completely, including the cache, and the problem persists.

As I write this response, my phone is in Safe Mode and I’ve tested the same spot again with the S Pen and other compatible styluses. Neither are registering input in that part of the screen (requires multiple taps while moving the pen around in the area to get a successful selection).

It only happens when I use full screen gestures without gesture hints enabled. When I enable gesture hints (inside and outside of Safe Mode) the problem is temporarily resolved, until I switch back to full screen gestures without hints enabled.

LadyBloodBath
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I don't think its just the S Pen at all. I think I might have discovered some dead spots on my phone. At first, I thought I needed to simply restart my phone. But now I'm thinking it's a software problem too. I didn't notice this glitch of having to stab the same spot several times to get a response prior to the latest updated 🤔. Its doing it to my 8 and 9.

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@LadyBloodBath Have you cleared the cache partition or tried a factory reset? Sometimes these steps are necessary after an update to stabilize the software and clear out any corrupted files. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
useronuXvDmlIf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

This is NOT spen problem, i have the exact same bug on my s10e after oneui2 update. A dead zone on the bottom right corner. Very anoying ! 😞 😞 simple click work but if i want to slide my finger starting to this zone, it's not working. 

0 Likes
userhnU2AkSxTI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I completely agree. The issue is not the S Pen. I've checked elsewhere on the internet and there are some Note 10 users having trouble with input at the bottom of the screen, particularly with gestures, the keyboard and the S Pen.

A software patch/update can definitely fix these issues.

Similarly, the Tab S4 had an accuracy issue with the S Pen (the problem wasn't the S Pen itself), but it was later fixed with a software update. The same could apply here.

MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@userhnU2AkSxTI Have you tried any of the previously mentioned troubleshooting steps?

0 Likes
userhnU2AkSxTI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@MrQue 

Yes, I’ve tried all previously mentioned troubleshooting steps. Including the ones mentioned in my original post.

As of now, I’ve formatted my phone twice and the problem has not been resolved. This is definitely a software issue because the problem did not exist before the update. The issue only occurs with certain configurations of gestures.

I’m not sure if the moderators on this forum use Note 10 devices, but if you use the setup mentioned in my post, you’ll see the problem first-hand. If external links are allowed here, I can show a demo of the issue in a video to clarify, or perhaps a GIF.

I don't mind waiting for an update or patch to the software. I just wanted to confirm that the problem exists. If a future update resolves the issue, I’ll update my original post accordingly.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.

useronuXvDmlIf
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Hi friends !! It's now fixed on the lasted update ! 🙂 👍 👍 

0 Likes