cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Samsung refuses to fix numerous issues with Note10+ after forced Android 10 upgrade

I've been in contact with Samsung for weeks now and they continue to refuse to even admit that issues (a list is noted below) that have arisen since the Android 10 update are covered under warranty. They consistently tell me to come here to "Provide Feedback". I don't want to provide feedback, I'd like Samsung to acknowledge device issues and add it to the list of things their developers will fix in the next update. It's unacceptable that a company can break my $1200 device four months after I purchase it and that I allegedly have no recourse and they have no duty to return the device software to working order. 

Bear in mind, these updates are forced by Samsung and the customer has no control or choice in whether to receive or install them. While I understand that security updates are important, feature updates are not, and security means nothing if after an update a device no longer meets the needs you purchased it for. It should be up to individual users to determine if they need the update and it should be possible to revert to a prior version should an update cause issues. That is how it works for computers, and what is a smart phone, but a computer? 

Samsung states in their terms of service that they are within their rights to modify the software in any way, including to remove functionality, and they believe that this is not only ethical, but also legal.

Issues discovered so far after Android 10 upgrade:

• Battery life has decreased approximately 20%. Battery life (screen on) prior to Android 10 was 10.5 hours, after it is 8.5 hours. This is with the same app usage and the only system setting change I made on my end was to use the new Dark Mode, which in theory, should increase battery life. AccuBattery lists battery health at 98%, so at most that only covers 2% of the loss. 

• Unable to record phone calls using third party apps. This worked prior to the update and continues to work on Samsung phones (via a built-in call recorder) sold outside of the United States and is 100% legal in all U.S. states (some states require two-party consent). I use this often for my job to record meetings (everyone is aware I'm recording) and the loss of functionality means I have to purchase a separate device. 

• Unable to use the built-in screen recorder when another app has access to the phone, even if the option "No sound" is selected. This was experienced while using the Zoom meeting app without meeting audio or any call whatsoever being connected. 

• Samsung Good Lock apps: Quickstar, Task Changer, and MultiStar all no longer work as Samsung has not updated them to be compatible with Android 10. It's been a month and there is no word that they will be updated. 

• The stock task changer (I previously used the Good Lock Task Changer) malfunctions frequently preventing me from selecting an app I was just in. This requires closing and restarting the app. It's possible this issue existed prior to the update as I didn't use the stock changer, however, I'm adding it here because it's still predicated on the fact that I can't use the other changer due to the upgrade. 

• Samsung Knox/Secure Folder does not support Android 10 permission management. That is, the ability to allow apps to only have permission when they are running. 

There aren't the only issues I've had with the phone, they are just the issues that have presented themselves after the forced update. I've also had issues with Samsung DeX and Samsung Pay, neither of which would Samsung acknowledge as an issue or submit to engineering to have fixed.

Ultimately, I have to ask, what is the point of Samsung support if all they will do is patronize you with: "We're sorry you're having trouble with your favorite feature, but sometimes we take things away when we update your phone."

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Samsung refuses to fix numerous issues with Note10+ after forced Android 10 upgrade

@Samsung_kHis1vC 

The GoodLock will be update in just few days, I believe February 3rd has been mention. Plus while this app is distributed from Samsung, I don't think it's actually their software. If you look in the app, there are only few developers listed, so it's a small team, and they had to rebuild the app for the new OS, yes it took a while and it's crazy, but it's almost back.

The call recorder may be something they were forced to do, I'm not sure, but if they allow it in other markets, feels like there is no other logical reason. And the screen recorder in apps that access phone is definitely related to that. Looks like they made sure there are no workarounds.

I don't have any comments about other points you listed, personally I haven't noticed any change in battery life but I also wasn't watching too closely.

If my post answered your question, please be sure to accept it as solution so other users can find answers quicker. And give it a Like. Thanks

Geno71-Ambassador-Signature2-1
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung refuses to fix numerous issues with Note10+ after forced Android 10 upgrade

Thanks for responding. Ultimately, this comes down to consumer choice. None of these issues would truly matter if the updates weren't mandatory as there is nothing in Android 10 that matters to me enough to lose this functionality. At this point, it would seem my only real option is to pick-up a Huawei phone the next time I'm overseas. 

I can appreciate that Good Lock is developed by a small team, however, as you noted, it's distributed by Samsung and from the public standpoint it is the same as Samsung Pay, Galaxy Wearable, or any other number of Samsung apps not being available after an update. If it's truly third party then it would be best for Samsung to differentiate that so that expectations are properly set. That said, I've very glad it's returning.

While I can explain away the call recording being gone and blame Google for changing Android 10 security policies to prevent non-system apps from accessing the mic during calls and possibly even believe there's a legal reason to not have the call recorder system app available on all devices, I don't think that covers screen recorder.

I should mention, I wasn't trying to use the screen recorder to record audio. I needed to record a bug in the Zoom application to send to Zoom tech support. The screen recorder specifically has the option to record the screen with no sound, which makes sense given that most times (at least us in tech) are trying to record the screen the sound isn't needed/desired. Yet, the app still refuses to record if another app has the phone access locked. This is most definitely a bug. The app shouldn't care if you're on a phone call if you're explicitly saying you don't need to record sound. That would be the equivalent of not being able to take screenshots while on an audio call. Which I just confirmed still works. Seems like either shotty or lazy coding by not checking the sound variable prior to deciding to look at the phone state. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Samsung refuses to fix numerous issues with Note10+ after forced Android 1..

I was trying to understand what you mean by the customer doesn't have any control over installing the new updates, I have a Note 10+ and I have been constantly getting the notifications for the new upgrade but I have always had the option to press install/schedule installation or not at this time. I have been able to press "not at this time" for 2yrs on which is the entire length of the contract on my note 8 as well as my note 9 and I'm currently doing it on the 10+. Yes it is annoying but never forced. and now my 10+

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung refuses to fix numerous issues with Note10+ after forced Android 1..

Hmm, perhaps it's carrier specific? My Note10+ is US based unlocked and I was allowed to postpone the upgrade 3 times before it auto installed. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Sorry I accidentally sent the message before I was done. The reason I bring this up is could it be the carrier we use that ultimately has the differences between us?