cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user58yDUDhIaq
Constellation

Slow Wifi speed on Note 10 Plus

I have Samsung Note 10 Plus , it shows wi-fi 6 logo when connected to Asus Wifi-6 router AX88U. Sometimes, when I leave my home and come back, the Note 10 plus does connect to AX88U wifi-6 but the speed is slow (about 50 mbps on 200mbps connection). If I turn off wifi on my phone and turn it back again. I get blazing fast 226 mbps. I did check some forums and was advised to change phone wifi setting is to static IP with primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns as 8.8.4.4 but this does not help.
Other steps taken: I disabled Wifi-6 on my router, but issue does not go away even when wifi ac (5Ghz) is being used.
Also, I have done "forget" network on phone, restart phone, reprogram Wifi setting. No use...

Another interesting fact: I have connected Netgear R7900 (wifi ac only, Mu-mimo) in AP mode to AX88U via cat7 cable. One day, I had observed that as I entered my home, my phone had connected to the Netgear router and the download speed was 200mbps with ping of 8 milliseconds. While I was roaming in the home, I was simultaneously browsing a few websites on my phone, and I observed the phone went from Netgear to ASUS router because I could see Wi-Fi logo without the Wi-Fi 6 symbol and then as soon as it hooked to Asus, I could see Wi-Fi logo with Wi-Fi 6 symbol. All of a sudden, the download speed as tested on speed test app went down from 200 Mbps to 6 Mbps. I switched off the Wi-Fi of my phone and switched it back again. the phone then connected with ASUS router on Wi-Fi 6 and the download speed was 200mbps. So this means that my phone performs very poorly when first-time connected to ASUS router. Would this be an issue with my phone not receiving signals properly - because of some issue while acting like a wifi-6 client?

Can someone please advise me how to have my phone connect to router with full internet speed? This only happens if I go out of home and come back in AX88U signal range. Also is this a router issue or phone issue? All other devices in my home are wireless ac (Wifi 5) only and have no issues with Asus router. Asus customer support is pointing finger on the Note 10 plus. Please help!

12 REPLIES 12
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Slow Wifi speed on Note 10 Plus

@user58yDUDhIaq Thanks for reaching out. In this case, your issue will be a router problem. The router is the only device that can assign how much speed that each device gets that connects to it. In this case, you can change the priority list so that your phone has more priority and more speed when it connects. Also if you have a lot of devices connected to your router that can cause your speeds to slow down overall as well. Does this happen when your phone connect to other wifi networks?

userojiZVzun1b
Astronaut

I have the same issue and have had the router replaced and technical people at my house, all other devices in the router show.normal except for my Samsung note10+

user58yDUDhIaq
Constellation

Thank you, userojiZVzun1b - do you remember if you went for a new AX88U or some other router? If some other, which brand/ make did you go with?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Do you remember if any of the technicians that you worked with tried adjusting the priority list on your router?

user58yDUDhIaq
Constellation

Hi SamsungQue,

Nobody worked on the priority list. Generally it is stated that if your internet speed is fast (over 200mbps), QoS is not recommended/ useful. I have 200 mbps down but get 226-236 mbps down via speedtest with ping of 6-9 milliseconds. I have a real good internet provider / connection. Should I work on setting QoS? Please let me know....

user58yDUDhIaq
Constellation

Just got off the phone - had called Samsung customer care. They said since I never had any issues before this AX88U router was purchased, replace the router first. So basically ASUS is pointing finger on phone and Samsung is pointing finger on Asus. I am so lost!

user58yDUDhIaq
Constellation

FYI for everyone - I just got on phone, my 4th time with Asus. They finally agreed that one more user was facing same issue so they have taken feedback seriously and are addressing this connectivity issue via another firmware update. No idea when this would be released. Asus asked me to return to original seller (an individual on eBay as it is within 30 days of purchase) or send to Asus for service. If service, then I will have to pay for shipping and arrange for a temporary router myself. Hence returning to seller on eBay. So we do have issues where router will not talk well with certain devices!

user58yDUDhIaq
Constellation

I got informed via another forum subscription that a new AX88U firmware update was out.......
It also happened around the day I was in a bitter situation as I was waiting for seller on eBay to accept my return request. He is a good guy who did not use the router on Ax devices. Now that I have purchased from him and using it on ax client, we came across this issue. Immediately upon reading this note, I updated the router firmware. I then went outside my home for a short walk but when I came back, my cellphone still had poor download speed with router upon reconnecting on 5Ghz. I explained this new observation and sent screenshots of speedtest and the seller kindly accepted my return request. Sadly this update did not sort out my issue.
But here is the good part: I had purchased a new AX88U at full price from Amazon. Initially I noted my 2.4 Ghz speed was very poor 4-25 mbps even when "6" was seen in wifi logo, means cellphone and router were on some new signal standard. With this update, I am getting 7 ms ping and 120-130 mbps download speed (same speeds on 2.4 Ghz with the "faulty" router described above). So this update did really speed up the internet speeds most evidently seen on 2.4 Ghz frequency. Also worth noting: I am not having the "poor download speed upon reconnect" with the brand new router that I just got.

userEP94Uk0OpL
Constellation

Is your issue resolved? Because I recently bought the note 10+ and I am having the same issue with my phone. Every other device is running full speed except note 10+, I tried resetting the router etc. No other device is having this slowness.