So i found a nice little workaround to get rid of the charging status showing up as an always on display, even if you have the always on display turned off. Here is what you do...
1. Download the attached 1x1blackpixel.png image. (this image will ensure your phones backlight turns all the way off when displaying this image)
2. Create a new folder in your pictures folder name "ScreenSaver" and put the 1x1blackpixel image in this folder
3. Open the phone settings
4. Open the Display settings
5. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and turn on 'Screen Saver'
6. Select screen saver to open its options
7. Select the 'Photo Frame' option
8. Select the settings for the photo frame
9. Select the 'ScreenSaver' folder option we created earlier (make sure our 1x1blackpixel image is the only thing in this folder, otherwise the phone will cycle between all the images)
10. Charge your phone and wait for your display to turn off on its own
So screensaver will only active while the phone is charging, and the image we selected will be displayed INSTEAD OF the always on charging indicator. The 1x1blackpixel will ensure your back light is all the way off and doesn't display anything. So now your phone can charge without displaying anything.
Kind of a silly work around for an issue that shouldn't exist if we already have the 'Always on display' turned off... but... oh well. Works for now.
(Sorry, just noticed the attached image actually only displays a 1x1 black pixel, so it just looks like a . on the screen. Here is a link so you can just download it , just set the color to 0 and the opasity to 1, then download and move the file like i mentioned in step 1 - http://1x1px.me)
You can also use CCSWE to disable AOD.
Disabling AOD this way is different than disabiling AOD through the menu and will disable the charging status as well.
Thanks for posting a detailed workaround. I have an honest question however, and I swear I'm just trying to understand... Why is the charging status an issue anyway?
I know some people were worried about it causing a burn in, but that won't be a problem, as those pixels shift every few minutes and won't stay on long enough to cause a burn in.
I can't think of anything else, other than just not liking it being there, which I can appreciate too, but I wonder if I'm missing something since there are many questions about this.
I've just never liked the always on displays, which is why i always turn them off. I know they shift around to prevent burn it, i just don't like that they are always there. It really is just a preference thing for me, i just don't like it is all. If i had to get used to it, i could and it wouldn't ruin my day or anything. If i have an option/workaround to turn it off, then i'd rather it be off.
Cool. Thanks for explaining.
I actually don't like the AOD myself and always keep it off too, but to be honest, the charging thing doesn't bother me, I do wish they gave an option to disable it easily for those that don't want it.
Some people think it's dim enough that this doesn't matter at all, but for me it's extremely annoying having ANY artificial light in my room when I'm trying to sleep. Studies indicate that even small amounts of light can interfere with sleep quality. Yes, I could put a cloth over it or implement a workaround--but I should be able to just turn it off.