cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

USB C only charges one direction

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Let's get straight to the point, 2 or three days ago while on a camping trip, the charging for my Note 10+ goes from awesome to unbearable.  Here are the symptoms:

1. USB-C charging only works in one direction.  Like I plug it in and it doesn't charge.  Then I flip it over and it charges.

2. No more fast charging with either the charger that came with the device or the optional 45w official samsung charger.

3. No more wireless fast charging.  I have an the official 10000 mah silver qi power bank and a samsung fast wireless pad.  Both only do normal charging.

4. I noticed when I used a third party wireless charger, the phone started to get hot and even stopped charging.

What have I done differently?  I used 2 ravpower power banks at one point of my trip, but neither were an issue I thought.  I also an ONN (Walmart brand) cup mount cell phone holder with wireless charging.  This is what it was one when I saw the overheat warning.

Did I break my phone?  My phone still charges, just not fast.  I checked my settings and fast charging is enabled, only using official samsung cables and charging mats, clear cache and rebooted the system.  The phone also seems to have battery drain issues too now.

Anyone have any ideas?  Do I have to factory reset my phone?  If I knew that woulf fix it I would do it in a heart beat, but I worry this is hardware related.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: USB C only charges one direction

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Let me answer this for everyone.  I am the OP of this post and I found a solution.  The issue was a dirty port.  Yeah seriously.  You have to clean the port.  I took the simcard popper from my box and used is to scrape the debris and lossen it up in the charging port.  Then I used one of those can's of air to blow the debris out.  Bingo, fixed.  Hope that works for everyone else.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Replace the USB Cable. Thats the common link. Not enough voltage getting though.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
Using a Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935A) on ATT with Gear S2 (SM-R730A), Baseband:G935AUCS2APH1, Kernel:3.18.20-8575098
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All chargers work on the S10 which is in my house and do fast charging.  So, that's not it.  Plus, that doesn't resolve the only charges on one side issue.  It charges on both sides on the S10, but only one on the Noye 10+

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You can take the phone by any local uBreakiFix location to have the phone checked out https://www.ubreakifix.com/samsung

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Note 10 probably takes more power then a S10. Or its the port in the Note. Try cleaning the port. And the cable is the cheapest way to start troubleshooting.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
Using a Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935A) on ATT with Gear S2 (SM-R730A), Baseband:G935AUCS2APH1, Kernel:3.18.20-8575098
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine started doing the same thing with the USB c cable 2 days ago immediately after the last software update. The earbuds are doing the same thing and only work in one direction. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Note 10+ same issue. USB C cables only charge 1 way. Tried different charging bricks and cables. Other phones I've tried with the same cables / bricks fast charge with both sides of the USB C cable. Note 10+ charges incredibly slow with every charger / cable. Just started in the past few days. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am facing the same issue.

My under 1 year old Samsung galaxy note 10 plus, the USB charger does not charge both the ways. Pen attached to a wall adapter.

The same charger works when I connected to a laptop and try charging my phone

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you ever find out why this is happening. I have the same issue. I have samsung care maybe ill get it checked.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My Note 10 has been behaving in the same way since 2 days. First it began with a warning of moisture in the usb port and now I have all these symptoms. It won't charge well with the supplied 25 W charger. Sometimes it shows cable charging on one side of the cable and super fast charging if I reverse it. Super fast charging won't continue for more than half a minute and the charging would stop. It has been 2 days since the moisture alert started so I don't think that the moisture is still there. Even slower samsung chargers of 15 w show fast charging more number of times than my own charger. I have thoroughly tested the charger and it's working on all other samsung devices normally. If I shutdown my device and charger with the 15 W charger, it works normally but if I connect the 25W charger then it shows the moisture warning right away. This is pretty weird. My device has also updated recently. Seems like this is related to the software update. 

SOFTWARE DETAILS

Version: N970FXXS6DTI5 / N970FOXM6DTH7 / N970FXXS6DTI5

Updated on 26th October 2020

My warranty expired earlier this week. This is strange.