JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unlocked vs Carrier Note10+ on Tmobile

(Topic created: 08-12-2019 11:16 PM)
spartacusmcfly
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Samsung just increased the trade in on the Note10+ to $350 from $185. This is $50 more than Tmobile rebate. Plus, Samsung trade in is immediate vs tmobile offering gift card nonsense. Any feature loss with Samsung version on tmobile?  Leinz recently posted this for S10. Is info same for Note 10+?

"The UNL XAA S10s support the following on T Mobile: VoLTE, VoWifi, and Carrier aggregation. 

LTE bands are all present. 2, 4, 5, 12, LAA, 66, and 71. Notice anything? Well, LTE U (252/255) is absent, but that's fine. LTE U never saw widespread adoption by TMO. B48 sits out too (not to be confused with B46/LAA). 

VVM, video call, and RCS are unavailable. "

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
RedDragon
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@spartacusmcfly Wow you are highly technical. I dont know if you are asking a specific question or just want to get information. Yes, VoLTE, WiFi-Calling and Carrier Aggregation are all supported on T-Mobile. But VoLTE on T-Mobile is having a little bit of issues and which makes the unlocked phones delayed to release an update because of that. LTE band 4 and 66 VoLTE calls will drop if you switch between these two LTE bands so T-Mobile decided to have Band 4 MFBI (multi frqequency Band Indicator) as Band 66 but Unlocked devices is not getting any Band 66 on the phone yet. Maybe next update.? T-Mobile doesn't own a lot of Band 66 licensed only on the area where they dont have B4. B4/66 have the same exact frequency just that B66 has one more block addition to their spectrum.

Currently both S10 and Note 10 supports LTE 2,4,5,12,46,48,71 by dialing *#2263#... Now, LTE-U (Unlicensed) is long gone now, it is same frequency as B46 LAA (Licensed Assisted Access) just a software update. When 5Ghz released in the USA, FCC/Network hasnt decided which LTE band to use but now they finalized and decided Band 46 LAA (5ghz) will be use in the USA for good.

LTE Band 48 (3500 Mhz) is half Licensed and half unlicensed, Although T-Mobile shows B48 on the S10 and Note 10, Tmobile hasn't deployed this yet in the USA. Verizon has been testing this B48 band since last year and I believe they are slowy rolling it out only to a very congested area. LTE Band 46 and 48 are both LTE TDD which means a one way street you can not download and upload at the same time.

Note 10 and S10 supports 7 Carrier Aggregation but T-Mobile restricts this to 3CA only and AT&T is showing 5CA support on both devices.

Video-calling may not be supported on unlocked devices. The device does support RCS for unlocked but Google is slowly rolling this out this year not yet in the USA though only in parts of the world. 

View solution in context

6 Replies
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@Leinz @RedDragon 

Can either of you help? Thanks. 

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
0 Likes
Solution
RedDragon
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@spartacusmcfly Wow you are highly technical. I dont know if you are asking a specific question or just want to get information. Yes, VoLTE, WiFi-Calling and Carrier Aggregation are all supported on T-Mobile. But VoLTE on T-Mobile is having a little bit of issues and which makes the unlocked phones delayed to release an update because of that. LTE band 4 and 66 VoLTE calls will drop if you switch between these two LTE bands so T-Mobile decided to have Band 4 MFBI (multi frqequency Band Indicator) as Band 66 but Unlocked devices is not getting any Band 66 on the phone yet. Maybe next update.? T-Mobile doesn't own a lot of Band 66 licensed only on the area where they dont have B4. B4/66 have the same exact frequency just that B66 has one more block addition to their spectrum.

Currently both S10 and Note 10 supports LTE 2,4,5,12,46,48,71 by dialing *#2263#... Now, LTE-U (Unlicensed) is long gone now, it is same frequency as B46 LAA (Licensed Assisted Access) just a software update. When 5Ghz released in the USA, FCC/Network hasnt decided which LTE band to use but now they finalized and decided Band 46 LAA (5ghz) will be use in the USA for good.

LTE Band 48 (3500 Mhz) is half Licensed and half unlicensed, Although T-Mobile shows B48 on the S10 and Note 10, Tmobile hasn't deployed this yet in the USA. Verizon has been testing this B48 band since last year and I believe they are slowy rolling it out only to a very congested area. LTE Band 46 and 48 are both LTE TDD which means a one way street you can not download and upload at the same time.

Note 10 and S10 supports 7 Carrier Aggregation but T-Mobile restricts this to 3CA only and AT&T is showing 5CA support on both devices.

Video-calling may not be supported on unlocked devices. The device does support RCS for unlocked but Google is slowly rolling this out this year not yet in the USA though only in parts of the world. 

spartacusmcfly
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thanks RedDragon!  The maps show I have bands 2, 12, 4, 66 in my area (Silicon Valley), so looks it is safer to get the carrier version of the phone to avoid any potential issues with switching between bands 4 and 66.  Thank you for your very detailed explanation!

0 Likes
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

@RedDragon nice explanation. Knew you'd knock that one out of the park

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
0 Likes
Spore64
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I got the unlocked and use on t-mobile but signal seems a lot weaker (2 bars compared to 4 for S10+. Would there be any benefit to Odin T-mobile onto unlocked?

0 Likes
Samsung_YgFc0Te
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Help, no data till tomorrow

0 Likes