JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

5g not working in Note20 Ultra - SM N986U1

(Topic created on: 11/11/20 3:39 PM)
klchandrakanth
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I have 5g plan with Verizon. I am in 5g coverage area. Verizon did all the troubleshooting and said I am supposed to get an update from Samsung,  after that 5g will work, rest all looking good from Verizon. . Yesterday night I got update.  But still no luck with 5G. Earlier when I called Samsung Tech support, they asked me to check phone in Ubreakifix. But no luck there as well. They couldn't find anything in their diagnostics. Its more than a month I am facing this issue. 
107 Replies
klchandrakanth
Astronaut
Options
Note20
:crossed_fingers:
DGM
Nebula
Options
Note20
Unless you're lucky to be in a location that has Verizon UW 5G, you will be disappointed when you get Nationwide 5G. It's worse than their 4G LTE. And once you have it, you can't turn it off.
0 Likes
YiLu
Asteroid
Options
Note20
so I guess if not good I will downgrade my 5G to 4G, the UW 5G IS 1 BLOCK OF MY APRTMENT, BUT I STILL DONT HAVE THAT SIGNAL
0 Likes
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Note20

for verizon users, you have to be in 5G area with 5G sim and 5G plan. and most importantly, you have to be close enough to be able to see the tower with your eyes, and must be outdoor.

or, you wont be able to use 5G becuase mm wave is fast but weak. it doesnt travel far and cannot go through the walls. 

TJN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
If you are still in the TJ3 firmware, you can enable 5G for Verizon using a dialer code. If you do, don't upgrad to TJ4 as it seems to break it.

EDIT: Got 5G working on TJ4. You can use the hidden menu to get 5G working.
klchandrakanth
Astronaut
Options
Note20
i am on TJ4. how to get to the hidden menu?
0 Likes
TJN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

Using the Google Phone app (not the built in Samsung dialer), dial: *#*#27663368378#*#*

This will bring up a hidden menu. It's a very finniky app and you have to use the Back option within the app's top-right, tripledot menu to navigate (don't use the Android back button).

Once you are in, use the following menu options to enable 5G:

Step 1: Option 2, 1, 2, 9, 9, 9, 9, 1, 1 -> Set Default LTE Band
Step 2: Option 2, 1, 1, 1, 9, 9, 2 -> NR DSS Enable
Step 3: Option 2, 1, 1, 9, 3 -> NR5G PRUNE is removed

Reboot and you should have 5g.

Step 1 enables all LTE bands which is needed to get 5G working.  Step 2 enables Dynamic Spectrum Sharing which allows 5G and 4G LTE to co-exist on the same spectrum.  Step 3 enables all 5G bands. 

0 Likes
Kupopo
Asteroid
Options
Note20
It works for me finally! thank you
0 Likes
TJN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Awesome!! Glad to hear it :D
TJN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

My reply to you is continually being marked as $pam automatically by the forum. Maddening.

I'll post elsewhere and link here.