JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

5g not working in Note20 Ultra - SM N986U1

(Topic created on: 11/11/20 3:43 PM)
klchandrakanth
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I have 5g plan with Verizon. I am in 5g coverage area. Verizon did all the troubleshooting and said I am supposed to get an update from Samsung,  after that 5g will work, rest all looking good from Verizon. . Yesterday night I got update.  But still no luck with 5G. Earlier when I called Samsung Tech support, they asked me to check phone in Ubreakifix. But no luck there as well. They couldn't find anything in their diagnostics. Its more than a month I am facing this issue. 
107 Replies
klchandrakanth
Astronaut
Options
Note20
thanks. I am getting notification but not able to view the comment when I open. makes sense.
TJN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I posted a link.  Let me know how it goes!

0 Likes
klchandrakanth
Astronaut
Options
Note20
thanks. checking
klchandrakanth
Astronaut
Options
Note20
@TJN, I followed steps. still showing LTE+

Edit: It worked. I got 5g in notification area.
0 Likes
TJN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Awesome! Glad to hear it.
0 Likes
YiLu
Asteroid
Options
Note20
I still Lte +
0 Likes
Solution
TJN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
0 Likes
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Note20

Hello,

I posted this on the wrong forum on Thursday when I found this out and just realized it! So reposting here because 5G is only available on the newer phones and I meant to post here originally anyway :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

TMobile has just released an update about their 5G and issues with SIM cards. They have found that customers whose SIM cards have the letters TM plus 4 numbers are not 5G compatible. The new compatible SIM cards have R15 on them and are compatible. If you have a non compatible SIM card and have a 5G phone, please reach out to TMobile for a new SIM card. 

New SIM cards that support 5G start with R followed by number, whereas the old non compatible SIMs start with TM.New SIM cards that support 5G start with R followed by number, whereas the old non compatible SIMs start with TM.

I found that I actually did need to replace my SIM card as it was one of the old ones, which I knew it was but everytime I called TMobile and asked they told me it was a good one. I went on Thursday and replaced my SIM with the new one and my phone has been working much better, switching between 5G and LTE without a problem.

*if I have helped you, please LIKE this post. If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a SOLUTION. Hope you have a great day!
KnightRalph316
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Note20
I was using my old one and still getting 5G but since I saw this I just switched it to the one from the box.

"New is always better" - Barney Stinson
lol
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Note20
yeah, I was using my old one too, and it would show full 5G bars, but if I moved from a 5G area, it wasn't switching to LTE and I wasn't getting reliable mobile data. I had called and chatted with TMobile reps about it, and every time they told me my SIM was good, I didn't need a new one. Even when I told them it's the same one I had when I switched from ATT and brought my unlocked Note 8 with me... now that I got my new SIM, it's working the way it should! Smh.
*if I have helped you, please LIKE this post. If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a SOLUTION. Hope you have a great day!
0 Likes