Original topic:

After latest update phone drains charge quickly

(Topic created: 11-14-2021 01:20 AM)
DONNASTECHSUPPORT
Astronaut
Options
Note20

3 or 4 days ago my wife's Note 20 installed an update. Since then it goes from 100% charge to nothing in about 30 min. Anyone else?

Might the update have made a change that causes a background process to eat up power? Can't imagine any app draining the batt that fast.

Ron

4 Replies
Mohican69
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Try clearing the cache. This has happened to me for a few of the latest updates and for every one of them clearing the system cache has fixed the issue. I think something gets stuck in the memory during the reboot after updating and keeps running in the background. Hopefully this helps. I know how frustrating this is.
userUkhzcfuChQ
Astronaut
Options
Note20

Something I've found with Android is very often apps I've deleted or disabled or forced stop come back and consume energy, often in background where you do not notice them. Also some settings (flipping some of the switches from off to on occurs). This, IMO, is result of Google (Android), not Samsung. I've always checked and redone the steps below whenever an OS update is done.

Anyway, When I first got my S20 5G FE I noticed MUCH higher drain of battery after just one hour off charger while I wasn't doing anything and the screen was off.

On my prior GS10+ I could leave it off charger all night and in the morning would still have 93%+ battery. I keep it always charged though (DEEP discharge ruins battery over MANY, MANY cycles) and IIRC the lowest I had ever seen was 83%.

BUT, and this is to my point, I had done what I describe over the years several times and always start checking things after an OS update.

- Do not stay logged into your Google account, if any. Google is "Big Brother" personified and will consume resources snooping heavily on all you do and send data back to "HQ" for sale to data brokers.
- Remove all apps that you don't use and can remove.
- Remove all permissions you can (geo location, access to camera/memory, etc.) on all remaining apps for those you don't use and can remove. Since I don't do much on my phones, I've ignored the warnings with no consequence. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) depending on what you do.
- Disable all functionality not needed or not in use most of the time (E.g. turn off WI-FI, hot spot, ... other functionality seldom used).
- Turn on deep sleep for those you keep that are seldom used.
- Force disable all those you can't remove (again, for MY case, no adverse consequences noted - YMMV).
- You MIGHT gain some by going to the general management stuff and turning on battery optimizations.

HTH (Hope This Helps).

0 Likes
DONNASTECHSUPPORT
Astronaut
Options
Note20
Thanks for the replies. Haven't tried everything yet but unfortunately clearing sys cache wasn't the answer. Could be sys update was coincidental. Who knows...
0 Likes
Options
Note20
I would recommend conducting a partition cache clear to clear out the software bugs that sometimes come with OS and security updates which can cause issues ranging from excessive battery drain to misbehaving apps: Here are the steps:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-note-20/wipe-cache/
Another helpful method is to routinely optimize your phone using the Device Care feature in device settings (cogwheel icon). If you press on the Battery heading a submenu will open up with several settings including Battery Power Management. Tap on that and make sure Adaptive Battery and Put Unused Apps to Sleep are toggled on. Once a week I do a soft reset where I power the phone off, wait a few seconds and power it back on. It reboots the phone and helps it run smoothly. You can also schedule to do this automatically: open device settings>General management>Reset>Auto Restart. Hopefully your wife's battery life will get back to normal.
0 Likes