Original topic:

Corrupt video and photos on Note 20 and note 9

(Topic created on: 12/19/20 11:43 AM)
user1xjOPQByJz
Asteroid
Options
Note20

Seems when Samsung has someone answer questions and the answers are not correct or the problem you can no longer answer the questions because it is out of your hands, This communitity is a joke! Not sure if  anyone on here is a Samsung employee but if you are go back to school

0 Likes
12 Replies
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Note20
So...what's your problem?
0 Likes
user1xjOPQByJz
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I am very upset with Samsung. My Note 9 was working fine until and update around July when it would start corrupting video and photos from the Gallery.  Samsung said it was my motherboard and suggested I buy a new phone. So I buy the Note 20 Ultra and it was not even 60 days old when it started to corrupt videos and photos like my Note 9 did. They had it in service on December 1,2020 and could not find anything wrong with the phone! That was a shocker! Do not think anyone at Samsung has a clue. Even the Office of the President has no clue! 

No third party apps installed. This Samsung Gallery and camera apps are what comes on the phone from Samsung.  Happens with Sd card and without. Note 20 wored fine for 30 days then the new update from Samsung  in November, then this happened again. Note 9 was also working fine until a software update from Samsung!

0 Likes
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Note20
Can you post some samples of the video and photo corruption here and on YouTube? It might help to see the actual symptoms you're experiencing.
user1xjOPQByJz
Asteroid
Options
Note20

here is a link to Samsung showing they know this is happening to SD cards but my Note 9 and now the Note 20 Ultra is doing it with SD cards of the phones drive. Not sure how to add a video. New to all this. here is the link minus 2 ww:

Screenshot_20201209-070609_Gallery.jpg

0 Likes
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Note20
So you're talking about the ones with the exclamation mark? When you click on that, and then one of the pictures' (it says you have 4) "details," what information do you see?
0 Likes
user1xjOPQByJz
Asteroid
Options
Note20

The first video shows 58 seconds also does the same thing. You click on the first video you get the grey screen showing the exclamation mark saying file is corrupt and you have to delete it because the videos and photos will continue right down each days until they are all corrupt! So any videos or photos when you take them they are fine. About an hour or so later they will go corrupt. If you do not move the other files to safety they will all be trashed

0 Likes
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Note20
That's what I thought: your phones have a memory problem. I would suspect you swapped a memory card from the old Note 9, which was giving you trouble, to the N20U. But, since you say it happens with internal memory as well, there's obviously more to the story.
One possibility is just plain bad luck, and you got two phones in a row, both of which did the exact same thing, whether through faulty software or hardware. That's a real long shot, but "never say never."
Another possibility is that the phones have been unwittingly subjected to environmental conditions which damaged them.
A third possibility is that the phones haven't actually been damaged, but environmental conditions are damaging the files stored in them.
The fact that you're experiencing the problem on two different phones, on both internal and external memory, leads me to one of the latter two explanations. I would have to know more about software versions to even consider the first, and if it is a software problem, Android 11 should fix your issue soon (I recommend you factory reset the phone when you upgrade it). I seriously doubt it's a hardware problem, because it happens on both internal and external memory.
In the meantime, the best way to avoid losing your files is to back them up manually as soon as you take them. I use One Drive, but Google Photos or any other will work as well.
The other option is to try to send it back to Samsung Repair, but tell them to keep the phone as long as needed to replicate the problem. I would have returned the phone within 30 days, but you seem to be having the horribly bad luck that your phone worked fine for the first 30 days.
0 Likes
user1xjOPQByJz
Asteroid
Options
Note20

My Note 9 was working for over 2 years with no issues. A tech agreed with me that the Note 9 like the Note 20 started this after a software update. My husbands S9 does not have any issues so I am sure the software for the Notes is different than the S series. His has no issues. My Note 20 was less then 60 days old and Samsung had it for a week on December 1 and could not find any issues. When I got the Note 20 back from them and setting it back up it was working fine until the new update installed  then it crashed again. With all this said Samsung took control of my Note 9 by 3 different techs. Then say that it was a motherboard chip issue and to fix the Note 9 would cost more then a new phone, so I would buy a new phone. Nice scam you ask me! Buy the new Note 20 Ultra and less then 60 days it happens all over again? Must be another bad motherboard. By the way each phone was put through there paces with clearing and installing the software back to factory. The note 9 then worked for 30 days until the other update got put back on the crashed. Both phone were in otter boxes and have never been exposed to and water or abuse. When Samsung took my Note 9 back on trade there was no issues with it of course. I am so tired of being told by Samsung that my phone was damaged and to buy a new one! Just take a thousand dollars and burn it and spend another thousand for the next one. Complaint was filed with the BBB and the office of the president said it need to be serviced. Told her it was just sent back from repair with no issues found, so the best they will do now is say download and use this forum? REALLY!

0 Likes
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Note20
Yours is a very rare case indeed. Like I said, short of getting rid of the phone on Swapa or ebay, your best bet for now is to make sure you back your data up.
If the problem is caused by software, it'll be fixed by software. Android 11 is rolling out to the Note 20 as I type this, so you shouldn't have long to wait.
In the past, I've included notes for the tech to call me with any questions, when I've sent things in for repair, as well as links to videos showing the malfunction happening in real time. That helps them out a lot, if they can't replicate the issue at their center.